Sunday, January 17, 2016

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Book Review!



Ah, Classic Children's Literature. Believe it or not, while i've heard of Alice's Adventures in Wonderland sure, I had never read it or fully watched an adaptation of it. With what little I knew I figured I might like a movie on it (still haven't watched one yet but plan to) but wasn't sure i'd like the book. I knew it contained a bunch of childish nonsense from what I had heard and just wasn't sure about it, but still wanted to try it...I loved it! I gave the first book a 4.75 and the second 4.25 for an average of 4.5.

It is full of nonsense, but it's also fun and imaginative. It's, quite literally, a child's dream and told through a child's eyes. Even so it is still very much enjoyable for an adult. That said I don't think it's necessarily for everyone. Lots of people enjoy it yes, but some don't as well. If a lot of nonsense or weirdness isn't up your alley you probably won't like it. I also read a review where someone mentioned they read it as an anxious child and it caused them more anxiety, because Alice does have some, so warning on that. While I didn't really get that while reading I may have if I had been younger.

While a child can read this, and i'm sure many children have and do enjoy this, not all will of course. I think this book is definitely one that some will love and others will be like...huh? simply because it's not going to suit everyone's taste. Which can be said of any book really. And truth be told, I don't think I would have enjoyed this as a child. I hated stuff like Spongebob Square Pants back then because it was nonsense. I can actually appreciate that more now as an adult than I could as a child. I might have just been a weird child, I don't know lol.

If it sounds interesting to you, I think it's worth a read, if not, then don't bother unless you just want to read it because it is such a classic. I am in the category of I really enjoyed it personally, though there were a few things that didn't quite agree with me hence why I couldn't give it a full 5 stars (though I did round up to 5 for Goodreads). It was a fun enjoyable journey! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment