Wednesday, May 18, 2016

The Spirit Chaser Book Review



The Premise

"Some places are too evil. Some places should be left alone.

Austin Cole has it made. Star of the hit television show Spirit Chaser Investigations, he has become the world’s most famous paranormal investigator. Although hard work, a talented investigation team, and favorable genetics have something to do with it, it’s his lack of fear and willingness to take risks no one else will that make Spirit Chaser Investigations cable’s number-one show. When a ghost-hunt-gone-wrong seriously injures his best friend and lead psychic, Austin is forced to find a replacement for a team member he considers irreplaceable.

Casey Lawson can’t catch a break. She’s been on her own since she turned eighteen and is scraping by as a part-time psychic and cashier at a New Age store. When a desperate Austin Cole calls her up and offers her a position on his team, has her fortune finally changed? He’s a control freak; she’s stubborn and opinionated. It takes time, but when they finally realize they’re working on the same side, everything clicks, both on and off screen. Just when things are looking up, a new threat emerges. Over the years, Austin has angered plenty of demons, and one of them has set her sights on him. Now he’s the one in danger, and it’s up to the team to rescue him from the riskiest investigation of their lives."

My Thoughts

Well that was quite the ride! Casey is a strong feminist woman, Austin is a bit of a douchebag at the start but well meaning. There is the Paranormal ghost hunting tv show they are on, so of course ghosts, and a demon, are in the mix. The side-characters are also developed in a more than just there kind of way, they actually feel important to the story with their own personalities. The characters felt well fleshed out, with good parts and realistic flaws, and likable. There are some queer side-characters, and it is never a problem for anyone. Religion does factor heavily into the book, what with demons and exorcisms going on it had to be there, it felt pretty respectably done to me though.

There is also graphic sex scenes, I didn't expect that going in. I understand, upon reading the book, why they are there. The romance is quite heavy at times in the book but I loved every bit of it, and i'm not normally one for romance! I don't mind romance, I think it just depends on how it's done for me...and I loved it here!

I may have had some up and down moments while reading it but over all I very much loved the story!

I felt for the characters, they all felt like their own important characters. There was good character development. I liked the pacing. I had a range of feels throughout..happy, angry, sad, amused.

I gave it 4.25 out of 5 stars, and if the premise sounds interesting to you, I would recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment