Sunday, July 3, 2016

The Alienation of Courtney Hoffman Book Review



The Blurb

"Fifteen year old Courtney wants to be normal like her friends. But there’s something frighteningly different about her—and it’s not just the mysterious tattoo her conspiracy-obsessed grandfather marked her with when she was a child. “Mental illness is a slippery slope,” her mother warns her. And the last thing Courtney wants to do is end up crazy and dead like her grandfather did.

But what about the tattoo? And the alien scouts who visit Courtney in her bedroom at night claiming to have shared an alliance with her grandfather? And her new friend Agatha’s apocalyptic visions? They have to be connected. Courtney has a mission: untangle her past, discover the truth, and stop the apocalypse before anyone from school finds out she’s missing."

My Thoughts

This book is fun ride! A truly engrossing alien story. It has parallel universes, visitations, wormholes and lots of action!

Courtney is battling with being told by her mother and her Dr boyfriend that she's crazy, being visited by aliens and struggling to figure out what's the Truth, and only Agatha seems interested in helping her find out said truth. I don't want to say too much and spoil anything. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone into sci-fi, paranormal stuff or aliens. As mentioned it also deals with issues of mental health.

Questions

1. How was the pacing?

Fast-paced! I got to know the main character while at the same time there never seemed to be a dull moment and the more I read the faster I wanted to read, to find out what happened next! It was quite a wild sci-fi alien filled ride!

2. How were the characters?

I felt so much for the MC Courtney. All of the characters felt real, in-character through-out the story, and invoked some sort of emotion depending on who they were. There were characters I loved, ones I loved to hate, and even the "bad guys" were complex in why they were doing things to the point I could understand them even without agreeing with them. I loved it!

3. Feelings?

Pretty much already described. Several emotions were invoked in me through-out reading and I love it when a book does that right! As in feeling for the characters, angry in situations or at characters for certain reasons, happiness and sadness, emotions from being engrossed in the story.

4. How was the writing and language?

I got immersed in the story and it felt real to me. (sorry i'm not good at this part)

5. World-building?

Description was great, enough that I could picture the setting without getting confused. Enough detail without going into anything un-necessary.

Note: It seems a second book is in the works and I will keep my eye out for it!

A solid 4 out of 5 stars and definite recommend if it's something you're into!

No comments:

Post a Comment