Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Sandman by William W. Johnstone Book Thoughts



The Blurb

"Paul Kelly had a very big temper for such a small boy. And when other children told on him, he made sure they were, very, very sorry. And then he discovered that when he didn't like someone, he could make it so he would never have to see them again."

My thoughts

I was given a PDF of this book for an honest review by Netgalley.

This book was published in 1988, i'm not sure why it's on netgalley as a new release, but it sounded interesting to me so I figured why not. Horror, evil child, seeing reviews mention zombies, sounds like my cup of tea!

Sadly I was disappointed, though I wouldn't call it a bad book, it just ended up "meh" to me really. Then again I also ended up trying to read it during a trying week in real life which may have affected it.

I was expecting something different having read the blurb but I wouldn't say the blurb is wrong, just really vague, which can be a good thing going into a book not knowing much. There are zombies, voodoo, a devil-child, weird sand-creatures, and stuff of that nature.

Some parts of the book rubbed me the wrong way, like the way the main bad voodoo people are described all the time, the incessant need to say "nakedness" all the time, some things that seemed to be referred to as satanistic like music and such that didn't seem necessary and more like the author's opinions on harmless things as satanic. Possibly more that I can't remember.

I didn't care that much for the characters or the story for the most part. Parts of it were interesting. Warning it can be gross, but personally I don't mind that. The writing wasn't that great either and at times was rather annoying.

All that said I did enjoy it to a degree, parts of it anyway. I didn't hate it but didn't really enjoy it either. Ultimately I gave it 2 out of 5 stars. If it sounds like your cup of tea by all means check it out and see what you think for yourself.

I talk more in depth about it in my recent reads video Here

No comments:

Post a Comment