Thursday, January 5, 2017

Frostblood by Elly Blake book thoughts



The Synopsis

"In a land governed by the cruel Frostblood ruling class, seventeen-year-old Ruby is a Fireblood who has spent most of her life hiding her ability to manipulate heat and light - until the day the soldiers come to raid her village and kill her mother. Ruby vows revenge on the tyrannous Frost King responsible for the massacre of her people.

But Ruby's powers are unpredictable...and so are the feelings she has for Arcus, the scarred, mysterious Frostblood warrior who shares her goal to kill the Frost King, albeit for his own reasons. When Ruby is captured by the Frost King's men, she's taken right into the heart of the enemy. Now she only has one chance to destroy the maniacal ruler who took everything from her - and in doing so, she must unleash the powers she's spent her whole life withholding.

Frostblood is set in world where flame and ice are mortal enemies - but together create a power that could change everything."

My Thoughts

I heard of this book as one of many books coming out this year and it sounded interesting to me. I haven't gotten much into fantasy yet and i'd like to. I saw it was on netgalley and picked up an e-arc! It comes out January 10th I believe.

A world divided by belief and power, divided up into binaries. Fire and Frost, and seeing those binaries blur. I loved so much about this book it's hard to figure out where to begin!

I really enjoyed the world-building, granted I would have liked a little bit more. The Gods and stories of the people were wonderful and I really enjoyed hearing about them, and how stuff came to be the way it was. The pacing was steady and picked up even more in the second half of the story. I hated having to put it down! There were some twists I didn't see coming as well that I quite enjoyed!

I loved the characters! I could relate to the Main Character, Ruby, at times, the way she felt and thought. The things that she did. She is a nice and like-able character, always meaning well, but fiery and stubborn! I loved that about her! She knows her worth and that she is a person, not a tool to be used. She is caring, and passionate. I just loved her so much! I also loved the side characters, whether I loved them, loved to hate them and when I didn't know how to feel at first as gray-areas were a thing and new stuff was revealed.

I really enjoyed the writing too. I liked the whole fantasy adventure and the fire/frost aspects of it.

I have my issues with fire (this book was fine for me, certain things are issues for me, not everything, as I've gotten better over time), which i've mentioned before, and when I took a quiz Here about "Are you a frostblood or a fireblood?" I was hoping for frostblood (though not the assholes in the book, there are good Frostbloods but they are the ruling class and those in power...well you catch the drift) simply because I tend to like ice. I love ice type Pokemon for example, I don't know why, I just do. I got fireblood...and the more I read the book (I had barely started reading it when I saw and took the quiz) I understood why! Ruby is a fireblood and I saw some of myself in her. Stubbornness...temper..yup yup. Having read it, I am a proud fireblood then! ^_^

It tugged at my heart, got emotion out of me as well as actual tears. I thoroughly enjoyed the ride this book took me on!

I gave this book a solid 4.25 stars.

I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers or those wanting to get into fantasy. I can't wait for the second book! Currently expected in September. This first book does not end off on a cliff-hanger, it's a full story-arc, which I loved! I'm just very excited for the next story arc to see what happens!



Great book to start off the year!

No comments:

Post a Comment