Saturday, January 14, 2017

The Edge of the Abyss by Emily Skrutskie book thoughts



My Thoughts

I was able to read an e-arc of this early thanks to netgalley and Flux. It was (and still is) my most anticipated release for this year, coming out April 18th! It's the sequel to The Abyss surrounds us, my favorite book of last year! No spoilers here for those who haven't read the first one. You can click Here to be taken to the goodreads page. Short synopsis? Bad-ass lesbian pirate girls fighting sea monsters, hell yeah!

I had high expectations for this book thanks to loving the first one so much, and it delivered even more! Action from the very start all the way through! It is more than action though, you really get to know the characters even more and the character development is fantastically well done! I also liked that we got to see more of the side characters too, not just the main ones.

The plot is well thought out and I could tell research went into it. I learned things about boats and animals alike and some pirate words, i'm not well versed in any of those things. That said it is also easy to read and never took me out of the story.

I was very emotional through the whole story. I fell so much deeper in love with the characters. I was scared for them, heart-broken when they were and there are some well-timed laughs along the way too.

There is a lot of gray-area in this story. No one is perfect and even bad characters, like Santa Elena the pirate captain, have good qualities too. I loved the characters individual motives and agendas, I understood why they did the things they did.

The romance, can we please talk about the romance?! It is slow-burning and it admits when they are not on equal footing, them often refusing to do anything because of the power-imbalance and saying it like it is. It is so refreshing and loved every second of it, even when I was frustrated like "Just kiss already!" XD.

This duology has claimed a place in my favorites of all-time list and the characters, especially Swift and Cas, have places in my heart. I can not express how much I love this series!

If it isn't obvious, 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment