Thursday, February 23, 2017

Dracula by Bram Stoker book thoughts



I have wanted to read Dracula for a long time now. Vampires? Yes! Where it's said to have really begun? Yes! Gimmie! Vampires and gothic-ness I thought it'd be right up my alley...

Sadly it fell really flat to me. I found it mostly boring. I wasn't even expecting much action, it's a classic, I know that. At times I enjoyed passages but for the most part it just felt..off to me. It's not just that I found it boring though, there is sexism strewn throughout the novel. Women are weak, men must be strong un-emotional people that never cry and just so much crap I wanted to throw book across the room and set it on fire. An instance here or there I could overlook and I know, I know, "It was written in the 19th century!" I don't give a damn at this point, it drove me nuts! I couldn't find much redeeming about this book. I did learn somethings, about history and such that I appreciated. I have seen the movie that really does follow the book though it's been awhile. I remember enjoying the movie, the book? Not so much. I really wanted to make sure I finished it though, so I did. It took me awhile but now I can say i've read it...and I kinda wish I hadn't.

Ultimately I gave it 1.5 stars and just want to move on from this book. Thank you to Dracula for doing all you did for the vampires and all, but please keep your crap in the 19th century. Sorry this isn't a good review.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no, I'm sorry you didn't enjoy this as much as you thought you would :( I love classics, and I'm dying to read it, so I hope I'll enjoy it!

    New GFC follower :)

    Amy @ A Magical World Of Words

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah :/ Hope you enjoy it more than I did!

      Thank you! Followed your blog back :)

      Delete