Thursday, April 6, 2017

Halfway by Lokesh & Anubhav Sharma book thoughts


Title: Halfway

Author: Lokesh & Anubhav Sharma

Published Date: January 29th, 2017

Source: Ebook from Authors

# of pages: 142

Genre: Science Fiction

Goodreads Blurb: "A few hundred people wake up in an auditorium with no memory of their past, scared and confused, struggling to remember who they are and how they got here. A voice draws their attention to the person standing on the podium, impeccably dressed, an air of calm confidence about him that suggests he has the answers to all their questions. As he starts explaining the situation, they slowly begin to realize they are in a futuristic realm called Enigma, where dead humans are reborn and brought to trials for the crimes they committed in their human-lives…"

Rating: 3.5 stars

Check it out on Goodreads!

My Thoughts

**Free copy received from the authors for an honest review

Trigger Warnings: Suicide, Attempted sexual assault, murder, self-harm

This is a fast paced book that did keep me reading. I believe it really only took me a few hours of reading to finish it off, and i'm not a fast reader. I did have some issues here and there. I didn't really connect with any of the characters however I was interested in reading about them. They have interesting back stories, explaining how and why they are there, and each do have depth. Sometimes they were assholes but I generally found when they were that that ended up being mentioned in some way, and I could usually understand why even when I could not agree with them. And if you always agreed with every character in every book wouldn't that be boring?

I didn't find the writing to be the best but it was certainly understandable and not the worst either. I sometimes felt like it was talking down to the reader by repeating stuff in brackets that we already knew and sometimes being repetitive with information.

There were definitely some twists and turns that had me flipping, well scrolling, through the pages. At the end you also don't get everything answered, and it does say it's book one and I am looking forward to book two and hopefully getting some answers.

You follow 2 main characters, Aparna and Dev, as they figure out how to adjust to Enigma, each with their own struggles in doing so. Dev struggling against being unjustly accused and Aparna in trying to figure out why she's even there. Also...a war is brewing. I don't want to spoil anything so I don't want to say too much!

It did make me think in some areas and I enjoyed the world of Enigma. Mostly it's a fun fast paced sci-fi book with a unique concept that I would recommend to anyone wanting an interesting sci-fi story, including those not big into sci-fi or for a quick read.

No comments:

Post a Comment