Saturday, July 15, 2017

Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton book thoughts


Title: Jurassic Park
Series: Yes #1
Author: Michael Crichton
Published Date: 1990
Publisher: Ballantine Books
Source: I bought it
# of Pages: 448
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Genre: Science Fiction/Thriller
Days to Read: 6
Rating: 4 stars
Would I recommend it?: Yes
Would I read more books by this Author?: Yes
My Social Media: Goodreads/Instagram/Twitter

Goodreads Synopsis

An astonishing technique for recovering and cloning dinosaur DNA has been discovered. Now humankind’s most thrilling fantasies have come true. Creatures extinct for eons roam Jurassic Park with their awesome presence and profound mystery, and all the world can visit them—for a price.

Until something goes wrong. . . .

My Thoughts

People bring dinosaurs back to life to create a park with them, a tourist attraction, a way to make money. Obviously stuff goes wrong. I have not seen the movie, so naturally I read the book first. I really enjoyed Jurassic Park!

I was interested from the beginning. I would have thought with all the science and learning going on that it would have felt pretentious. I'm sort of sensitive when it comes to books feeling pretentious and it irks me, but that was not the case here! Rather than feeling irritated, I was interesting in learning about this world. I don't believe all the science is actually true (and as much is mentioned in the back of the book) but it was still very fun to read as well as got me interested to learn about things now. I've never cared about Dinosaurs but this book may have changed that.

The characters mostly felt real and fun to read about. Lex, an 8 year old girl, was rather annoying and at times didn't feel like an actual kid to me but that could have just been me. She didn't feel older, it was more like she was constantly a brat and in the face of danger no less. Also she didn't get to eat for a long time (because things) and when food was within reach, despite being starving for quite awhile, she was still picky and bratty about it. Girl, obviously you ain't as hungry as you claim then...insisting on non-existent Ice cream.

What gets me about her is in relation to her 10 year old brother Tim who was apparently very smart and responsible, while his 8 year old sister was an unbelievable brat, annoying and putting them in danger, but Tim, the barely older boy, was amazing and helped save the day. Yeah..that kinda irked me. At the same time what do I know? They are kids and people are different and how does one know how people would react to seeing live dinosaurs anyway, it's fiction.

That makes it sound like I was more irked than I actually was. For the most part I loved everything about this book! I was on the edge of my seat wanting to know what happened next. It was also thought-provoking at times and had me think about things. The pacing was steady, it was readable, fun, exciting, and thought-provoking. I have to watch the movie!

It can be read as a stand-alone and if I heard correctly was originally ment to be a stand-alone, but he was pressured by the movie people and fans to create a sequel, The Lost World. I am interested to know what happens next and hope to get to it someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment