Friday, September 8, 2017

Nyxia by Scott Reintgen book thoughts


Title: Nyxia
Series: Yes (The Nyxia Triad #1)
Author: Scott Reintgen
Published Date: September 12th, 2017
Publisher: Crown Books for Young Readers
Source: Netgalley
# of Pages: 384
Format: Kindle
Genre: YA/Sci-Fi
Days to Read: 6
Rating: 4.25 out of 5
Would I recommend it?: Yes
Would I read more books by this Author?: Yes
My Social Media: Goodreads/My Booktube Channel/Twitter/Instagram

Goodreads Synopsis

Emmett Atwater isn't just leaving Detroit; he's leaving Earth. Why the Babel Corporation recruited him is a mystery, but the number of zeroes on their contract has him boarding their lightship and hoping to return to Earth with enough money to take care of his family.

Forever.

Before long, Emmett discovers that he is one of ten recruits, all of whom have troubled pasts and are a long way from home. Now each recruit must earn the right to travel down to the planet of Eden--a planet that Babel has kept hidden--where they will mine a substance called Nyxia that has quietly become the most valuable material in the universe.

But Babel's ship is full of secrets. And Emmett will face the ultimate choice: win the fortune at any cost, or find a way to fight that won't forever compromise what it means to be human.

My Thoughts

Emmett is one of 10 teens picked to go to the planet Eden. There they will meet a new species, try and set up a good life, and mine the very interesting substance called Nyxia. They are put through very tough training as they have to be prepared for life on Eden. They will be scored and not everyone gets to go to Eden.

The company they are working for is Babel Communications, and you know they are keeping secrets. Whoever does get to go to Eden gets a lot of money and they and their families will be set for life. Some of the kids form bonds despite competing against each other but sometimes they do need teamwork.

My favorite part of this book has to be the characters! Emmett is our MC and a black male from Detroit who has had a tough life, all the kids have really in their own ways, though Emmett does having a loving family. The other main characters include a smart and book loving Japanese girl, a southern belle from Tennessee, a pure ray of Sunshine from Palestine, a badass female warrior from Kenya, a calculating girl from Brazil, and more. A character also opens up a conversation on perceptions of people that I loved. I was able to see parts of myself in a couple of the characters and fell in love with each of them over the course of the book in their own ways. They are all different, and real. Their background and personalities shine through! I may have my favorite characters but they are all well done.

Bilal












This book took me just a little bit to get into, and part of that may have been because life was being difficult, but it didn't take too long and the pace really picked up. I don't think anything was wasted time. The further into the book I got the more I had to keep reading on! It made me think on more than one occasion. I loved Emmett's POV and the book was very readable and easy to get into for me. The world-building, well they are on a ship through-out the book in space. I could picture it well enough. I'm more interested in Eden to be honest! There were twists that I didn't see coming. I have questions and I need the second book now!




















The relationships between the characters I absolutely loved! There are rivalries, friendships that form and they are beautiful <3. My only issue is the romance at the end of the book felt a bit...off. It didn't feel developed enough for me or really make much sense to me. It just seemed to lack something for me. However there is a second and third book coming so I hope to see that more developed over time.

I had a lot of feels and tears through-out the book and other than the romance thing didn't really have any issues with it. I can't wait for the next book to find out what happens! I have feels and I need answers..

















They are doing a lot of things, that's what they are doing.

Thank you to Netgalley and Crown Books for Young Readers for giving me the chance to read this book. If it sounds up your alley i'd highly recommend giving it a chance as it comes out September 12th, 2017!

No comments:

Post a Comment