Tuesday, January 23, 2018

Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda book thoughts


Title: Monstress, Vol. 2: The Blood
Series: Yes (Monstress #2)
Author: Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda
Published Date: July 11th, 2017
Publisher: Image Comics
Source: I bought it
# of Pages: 152
Format: Physical
Genre: Fantasy/Comic/Horror/Adult
Days to Read: 2
Rating: 3.75 / 5 stars
My Social Media: Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram

Goodreads Synopsis

The Eisner-nominated MONSTRESS is back! Maika, Kippa, and Ren journey to Thyria in search of answers to her past... and discover a new, terrible, threat. Collects MONSTRESS #7-12

My Thoughts

Maika is on the run from forces that are determined to control or to destroy the powerful Monstrum/God that lives beneath her skin, but she also has a mission of her own. To discover her late mothers secrets. Her quest takes her to the pirate-controlled city of Thyria and across the sea to the mysterious Isle of Bones. This journey will force her to reevaluate her past, present and future, as well as who she can truly trust, including her own body.

Yes I did get that synopsis off the back of the book, almost word for word, but it's really a perfect synopsis.

I am loving how stuff is finally starting to come together! I'm not as confused as I was the first volume, though some confusion remains. Information comes fast, as soon as you learn something, something else gets thrown in the mix that confuses. I think it's done this way on purpose, it's how Maika is experiencing it, but it can be disorientating. However I am following along better than I was in the first volume, so I think that will continue as the series continues.

The art is amazing! It's rich and complex, and if I was basing my rating on the art style alone it would get all the stars!

I am really growing to love Maika and feel for her. I don't remember liking her in the first volume and I was trying to decipher what the story was trying to tell me. I didn't get it then but now that it's starting to make a little more sense I am really feeling for Maika and I see the story is very rich and deep. My favorite character remains Kippa though, Kippa is so cute and precious! Maika is growing on me though. With her learning about her mother, her past and why she's here, as well as about the thing inside her and why it's there in the first place, she deals with a lot and hasn't had it easy. And it's not going to get easier. She isn't an awful person, she isn't a saint, she's just trying to figure stuff out, deal with traumatizing crap, and that is proving difficult. She is getting more humanized and I am seeing why she is the way she is.

It's definitely a story to take in slowly. I initially wasn't sure if I wanted to continue with the series after the first volume, but I liked it enough (even with being confused) to give volume 2 a shot and this volume would tell me if I am going to continue with the series. Well I am! I am now invested and can't wait for volume 3! And at some point in the future will need to re-read the volumes to catch stuff I missed and remember all the pieces. It's a rich and complex world.

No comments:

Post a Comment