Tuesday, February 27, 2018

Broken Hearts by R.L. Stine book thoughts


Title: Broken Hearts
Series: Yes (Fear Street Super Chiller #4)
Author: R.L. Stine
Published Date: January 1st, 1993
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: I bought it
# of Pages: 218
Format: Physical Paperback
Genre: Horror/Thriller/Young Adult
Days to Read: 4
Rating: 3.5 / 5 stars
My Social Media: Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram

Goodreads Synopsis

Roses are red, corpses are blue. On Valentine’s Day, you’ll die too!

There’s someone out there, someone who kills on Valentine’s Day. Josie and Melissa are scared—especially when they receive threatening valentines. Then the murders begin. Who is sending these horrible valentines to the girls of Shadyside High? And who will be the next to die?

My Thoughts

Even though it's in a series technically, it's a stand-alone. Anyway I read this for a Fear Street challenge where we read one Fear Street book a month in a group i'm in on Goodreads. I decided to join in because I had already wanted to read some Fear Street books so it gave me the push I needed to just do it.

Josie...oh God I hated Josie, she is such a bitch! Like, I know there are people like her in existence, but why? It was a I love to hate her kind of thing though. Josie, Erica, and Rachel are sisters. Rachel and Josie are twins actually and Erica their younger sister. Erica is 14 and just starting high school while Rachel and Josie are 16. Rachel falls off a horse, with no helmet, and hits her head (prologue of the story), she survives but is now very child-like. Erica and Josie are both supposed to help out caring for her since she can no longer look after herself but Erica ends up doing everything. I loved Erica and felt so bad for her because having to do everything she wasn't able to be a normal teenager at all. She was more than willing to help out but Josie was supposed to as well, it would have made it manage-able, but Josie was just...UGH. Fuck Josie.

Anyway Josie gets threatening valentine's...threatening to murder her. There is more I want to say but I won't, because spoilers. Anyway murders happen and they are trying to figure out who did it and all that. I literally questioned everyone at some point, but I wasn't expecting how it ended, and I loved it! I was actually really thinking it was a particular person but I was very worried about the direction I thought it was heading, about the message it might send, but it did not go the way I thought it would thankfully!

I did have fun reading it and could not stop my brain from trying to figure it out. Even as I was worried I was having fun reading it, just praying it would be ok and it was. I wasn't disappointed. Maybe it wasn't the best as I was so worried but maybe it's just ment to make you think. I know I did. I'm not 100% sure how to feel about it all but it was a fun, quick, murder mystery read.

No comments:

Post a Comment