Saturday, May 5, 2018

Ice Massacre by Tiana Warner book thoughts


Title: Ice Massacre
Series: (Mermaids of Eriana Kwai #1)
Author: Tiana Warner
Published Date: September 18th, 2014
Publisher: Rogue Cannon Publishing
Source: I bought it
# of Pages: 377
Format: Kindle
Genre: Fantasy/Young Adult/Queer (F/F)
Days to Read: 4
Rating: 5 / 5 stars
My review on Goodreads: Here
My Social Media: Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram

Goodreads Synopsis

A mermaid’s supernatural beauty serves one purpose: to lure a sailor to his death.

The Massacre is supposed to bring peace to Eriana Kwai. Every year, the island sends its warriors to battle these hostile sea demons. Every year, the warriors fail to return. Desperate for survival, the island must decide on a new strategy. Now, the fate of Eriana Kwai lies in the hands of twenty battle-trained girls and their resistance to a mermaid’s allure.

Eighteen-year-old Meela has already lost her brother to the Massacre, and she has lived with a secret that’s haunted her since childhood. For any hope of survival, she must overcome the demons of her past and become a ruthless mermaid killer.

For the first time, Eriana Kwai’s Massacre warriors are female, and Meela must fight for her people’s freedom on the Pacific Ocean’s deadliest battleground.

My Thoughts

Wow! I don't know where to begin but I want to shout about how much I loved this book! Definitely a new favorite and I will be getting the rest of the trilogy asap!

I loved the characters and their depth! I was very much able to relate and put myself in Meela's, the MC's, shoes. I love the water too and she felt a connection to the ocean even though she wasn't "supposed" to. There is so much more to her than meets the eye. It's in first person POV so you get her thoughts and I connected with her so much! She is also a POC, many of the characters are on Eriana Kwai.

She has a best friend Annith and I really enjoyed seeing their friendship. Stuff gets tested, but female friendships <3.

Meela as a young child meets a mermaid named Lysi. They become friends. Mermaids are killing Meela's people, besides mermaids they call them sea demons so you know how her people feel about them.

My God there is so much I want to say but I just want everyone to experience it for themselves so I don't want to say too much and spoil it!

I loved learning more about the war, what's going on, why it's going on and all that it entails. I loved there was so much depth to this novel, it's well thought-out and has meaning behind it.

I had audible reactions while reading this novel. I cried, gasped, laughed, my chest felt like it was being tightened and I had to remind myself to breathe, honestly.

The characters are so complex, even Dani who I really don't like (but love her characterization) I felt sorry for her and understood where she was coming from.

It has sweetness, the romance isn't a big part of the novel but man did I love it. It also has murder, war, death, pain. It has a well thought-out plot and characters and gave me all the feels. I adore this book and can't believe I waited so long to read it! It was a perfect start for Mermay, though maybe not because what if everything else pales in comparison now? Either way i'm so glad I read this book and if it at all sounds interesting to you I highly recommend it!

Also they are making a graphic novel version of it, and you can see a sneak peek and help support it (by just subscribing and tweeting) so publishers know people want this by going Here.

2 comments:

  1. Ooh mermaid books! I honestly never used to read them, but I'm finding more recently and I kind of adore it?!? The sea is so mysterious and beautiful and I looove sea-themed books. Also the fact that this made you laugh AND cry is super special!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ^_^ I have a bunch of mermaid books I want to read, so i'm reading some for Mermay and hope to read more during the summer, figure it's the perfect time for mermaids! Or any time really lol.

      I haven't really read many mermaid books before either but i'm gonna start, I love mermaids :D And I love the sea!

      Thank you for reading and commenting :)

      Delete