Thursday, November 1, 2018

October 2018 Wrap Up

As usual the titles will link to my reviews on Goodreads, Which may or may not have more to say that what is here.

What I read

Pet Sematary by Stephen King 3.5 stars

Easy but sad read. Liked the characters and the message.

Floppy Shoes Apocalypse edited by John Ledger 3.75 stars

Clown Horror Anthology with something for everyone...who is into clown horror anyway. I actually learned a little bit about clown history too! Was scary, and even thought-provoking at times. Loved most of the stories.

Monster Blood IV by R.L. Stine 2 stars

Why...just why. I can't even..

The Haunting by Ruby Jean Jensen 4 stars

Was surprised by the amount of depth in this novel, and I really enjoyed it! Loved the creepy atmosphere.

Cannibalism: A Perfectly Natural History by Bill Schutt 4.25 stars

Very interesting history. Learned a lot, accessible, well written, avoids being sensational. Very glad I read it!

Frankenstein (1818) by Mary Shelley 5 stars

I read the 1831 version 3 years ago and enjoyed it, not knowing it wasn't the original version. Finally read it and loved it even more! I love the themes in Frankenstein and the more I learn about Mary Shelley the more I love her as well! Two monsters, one is named Frankenstein, the scientist. I feel bad for the "monster" without a name, but it's like "cool motive, still wrong" and apparently, Shelley herself said her novel had 2 monsters, she knew what was she was writing! Nature vs. Nurture....not the point. Your choices are what make you.

You by Caroline Kepnes 5 stars

A very strange book! The only book I think that I can say "I hated everyone in it, and I loved it!" with. Joe, the stalker, being the most like-able one and at times even feeling frustrated FOR him and rooting for him but then quickly check yourself like "wait...what? this isn't right" but Beck (and her friends) are omg the freaking worst! Joe has charm, even with the red flags here and there. A very strange, thought-provoking book. I hated all the characters, and I loved every addictive second of it!

First Date by R.L. Stine 3.25 stars

Had plenty of problems with this one (slut shaming/body shaming/rape culture), but I did like it when it got going.

Monster Blood for Breakfast! by R.L. Stine 3.5 stars

Well written and good story telling, compared to how the original Monster Blood series ended. Believe-able characters. Really enjoyed it!

Monthly Average Rating: 3.81

I continued Horrors! 365 Scary Stories, reading 31 stories for October, and The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, reading 12 stories for October. I am still reading the ongoing Strawberry Seafoam webtoon and read episodes 42-49 in October (still loving it!).

I also read 29% of Lost Signals edited by Max Booth III, and The Picture of Dorian Gray in The Picture of Dorian Gray and Three Stories by Oscar Wilde.

TV I watched in October

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic- I watched Season 8 Episodes 23-26 as well as the Best Gift Ever Holiday special that aired on 10/27.

Supernatural- Season 14 Episodes 1-3

Goosebumps- More Monster Blood episode

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls- Season 1 Episodes 1-5 (includes Forgotten Friendship and Rollercoaster of Friendship).

Big Mouth- Season 2 (all of it)

Chilling Adventures of Sabrina- Season 1 Episodes 1-4

I loved everything except Chilling Adventures of Sabrina. As a Wiccan, well i'm offended at yet another bad media representation, but I won't get into that here. I'm tired of talking about this crap. Not sure if i'll finish watching the season or not. I think Big Mouth Season 2 is even better than season 1! They have a planned parenthood episode. While Big Mouth isn't 100% perfect I find it has a lot more good to it than anything. It's fucked up, funny, and educational ALL at the same time! As usual still loving my ponies and my Winchesters.

Movies I watched in October

All titles linked to review on letterboxd

Godzilla 1998 4 stars

American Psycho 2000 2 stars

Stitches 2012 4.5 stars

Pumpkinhead 1988 3.5 stars

Pet Sematary 1989 4 stars

Pet Sematary II 1992 4.5 stars

Terrifier 2016 4 stars

Halloween 1978 3.5 stars

Halloween II 1981 3 stars

Halloween 2007 5 stars

My Little Pony: Equestria Girls- Legend of Everfree 2016 5 stars

Halloween II 2009 5 stars

The Nightmare Before Christmas 1993 4.5 stars

Sadly I didn't listen to any podcasts this month, was so busy with everything else

Youtube Videos Posted

Spookathon TBR
Sept 2018 Wrap Up
Recent Reads #102-106 | 2018
Oct 2018 Book Haul
Nonfiction November TBR 2018
Recent Reads #107-110 | 2018

Blog Posts Posted

September 2018 Book Haul
September 2018 Wrap Up

Have you read or watched any of the same things and if so what were your thoughts? What did you do in October?

Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment