Sunday, August 4, 2019

July 28th to August 3rd, 2019 Weekly Wrap Up

What I Finished Reading

Titles in this section link to my (sometimes fuller) reviews on Goodreads.

Lughnasadh: Rituals, Recipes & Lore for Lammas by Melanie Marquis 4⭐

Basic nonfiction book about Lughnasadh.

Bent at the Spine by Nicole Markotic 1⭐

I DNF'd it at 34% (and it's a poetry book) because sadly I couldn't understand any of it.

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur 4⭐

Loved most of this poetry book! If I had read it 10 years ago I could see having given this 5 stars. As it is it brought up memories I wish it hadn't, but I do mean that in a good way. It's powerful and empowering. A bit awkward at times for my afab enby self though. I would definitely be ok with buying my own copy though, as I read it from Hoopla. And I look forward to reading more of Rupi's poetry.

Nocturnal by Wilder Poetry 4⭐

It was hell reading this because of Hoopla (it wasn't working right for a bit), and I still very much enjoyed it! Beautiful poetry and pictures and I NEED to buy my own copy!

The Dead House by Billy O'Callaghan 1⭐

I was liking it ok enough (because of the atmosphere) but not loving it. It's told in Mike's POV, which the story isn't about Mike it's about Maggie, his "friend" that treats him like an ATM machine, and the house where he doesn't even spend much time in apparently. Mike's a bit of a jerk too and a good part of the story is useless information on his art dealing business. They end up having a seance because Maggie, after using Mike's money to fix up the house she just bought that was in ruins, has a house warming party with him, Ali and Liz. There is a dull romance between Mike and Ali. A ghost of an evil pagan dude gets summoned. I am so done with evil pagan stories. Also TW for domestic abuse, suicide, rape. All of which are personal to me. And I found it all kinds of no. I was thinking i'd make it through but no, I can't. DNF at 44%. I initially got it from Netgalley but never read it so I tricked myself into finally getting around to it by borrowing it on Hoopla. Stupid decision.

Chord by Rick Barot 3⭐

I liked this poetry book well enough. I think I missed some things but I still enjoyed it.

What I plan to read over the next week

Whatever I feel like off my large August TBR (link below) but mostly graphic novels for the #readmoarcomics readathon, tbr video coming Monday August 5th. The readathon goes from Aug 5th-11th.

TV I Watched

MLP: Friendship is Magic Season 9 Ep 14 "The Last Laugh"

Movies I Watched

Killer Klowns From Outer Space (1988): Exactly what it says, nothing more. Fun times. 4⭐

Mermaid: Lake of the Dead (2018): Very disappointing. There is no mermaid for one and it just...didn't make much sense to me. 2⭐

Youtube Videos Posted

July 2019 Book Haul [32 Books!]
Overly Ambitious August 2019 TBR

Book Haul

Amazon Freebies


Audio books from Audible Originals


Bookfunnel Freebies


Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment