Friday, May 8, 2020

April 2020 Wrap Up

What I Read

In the Valley of the Sun by Andy Davidson DNF: Unrated
Unsheltered by Barbara Kingsolver DNF: Unrated
The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins 4.5⭐
Hide and Shriek by R.L. Stine 3⭐
Coraline by Neil Gaiman 4.25⭐
Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins 4.75⭐
Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins 5⭐
The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck DNF: Unrated
On Writing: A Memoir of the Craft by Stephen King 4⭐

I think it was a mix of my mood, the setting and the slow pace that just had "In the Valley of the Sun" not working for me. "Unsheltered" just wasn't working for me either. I had gotten "In the Valley of the Sun" via Hoopla and "Unsheltered" via Libby. I got "The Hunger Games" (all 3 of them) via Libby and read them for the first time! I LOVED the trilogy! The character, the messages, the depth, the gray-ness, the emotion, and I shed a lot of tears! I still have not watched any of the movies. Somehow I went in (thankfully) completely unspoiled!

I had one issue (which ended up being a large part of the small book and completely unnecessary) with "Hide and Shriek" in regards to to the little sister constantly having to tell her family to stop calling her baby and them refusing to listen again and again, and again, and again and...It's like you say you're trying but actions prove otherwise. Slipping up is normal but at some point just admit you don't care to even try and stop lying. Was I projecting trans issues onto it? Probably. But still. But I did enjoy the creepy ghost story.

I read "Coraline", my first Neil Gaiman book, via Scribd (currently on a 60 day free trial. This link, scribd.com/gat/8e5y1b, should give you 60 days free as well if you want to try it out. Not sponsored, it's just something they do and you can cancel it if you so choose.), and really enjoyed it. It was so creepy. I need to read more by Neil Gaiman.

I DNF'd "The Grapes of Wrath" because it was boring me that badly and the outdated gender stuff was getting on my nerves. Yes, I know, product of it's time and important, but I couldn't take it anymore. If it wasn't so boring maybe I could have pushed through it. Then again my mood may have affected it as well. Then I finally finished "On Writing" and really enjoyed it. Learned a bit about Stephen King's life as well as writing. Entertaining and a bit funny at times.

What I Watched

Nothing. At all. Not a thing.

What I Played

A little bit of Animal Crossing. I gave in to the hype. It's cute and fun.

Blog Posts

March 2020 Wrap Up
No More TBR's (for me)

Of course I didn't have a computer for part of April hence less blog posts.

Videos Posted

March 2020 Wrap Up: What I Read + Life [CC]
March 2020 Wrap Up: What I Watched (and played) [CC]
Bookshelf Tour (sort of) [CC]
Island Horror Readathon Possibilities [CC]
Merfolk May 2020 [CC]
April Book Haul Part 1 [CC]

What did you do in April? Any thoughts on what I did? Comment down below!

My Social Media: Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment