Tuesday, May 3, 2016

"It" by Stephen King Book Review



The Blurb

"The story follows the exploits of seven children as they are terrorized by an eponymous being, which exploits the fears and phobias of its victims in order to disguise itself while hunting its prey. "It" primarily appears in the form of a clown in order to attract its preferred prey of young children. The novel is told through narratives alternating between two time periods, and is largely told in the third-person omniscient mode. It deals with themes which would eventually become King staples: the power of memory, childhood trauma, and the ugliness lurking behind a façade of traditional small-town values."

My Thoughts

It ends being more than that but of course I won't spoil it! Anyway while I had a couple issues with it here and there over-all I loved it, especially the very ending! But it is a very long book and I did enjoy it throughout, I just wasn't expecting the ending to hit me the way it did!

I mostly enjoyed the writing style of it and could picture the settings pretty well. I didn't get confused between going from one time to the next (1958/1985). The plot, while it is a long book, somehow didn't feel boring, dragged out or un-necessary...for the most part. You really get to know the characters very well, which I loved! Though if you don't care about the characters so much it may bore you, personally I love getting to know the characters well!

I have seen the movie so that may have hampered my enjoyment of the book a little as I already knew some of what was going on (it has been awhile since I saw it and thankfully? my memory kinda sucks, but I saw it a TON as a kid, and again a few years ago...not recommended for children but then again somehow I was ok with it o.O). I still enjoyed it I just think i'd have found it more creepy if I didn't see the movie first.

I wasn't expecting it to make me think, just creep me out, but the last couple hundred pages and the ending DID make me ask some real-life questions and make me think, much to my surprise! And the ending hit me hard. I just finished reading it not long before typing this and my heart...



Though I didn't exactly sob, I did have to take a breather once or twice.

I ended up giving it 4.5 out of 5 stars! <3

No comments:

Post a Comment