Thursday, May 26, 2016

Summer 2016 Want To Read

I don't personally like the term "to be read", for myself, because then I put un-necessary stress on myself and make reading a chore. It isn't ment to be a chore, but to be fun. This is my own personal problem, for many people TBR works. For me, I choose to use "want to read" as there are books that, for whatever reason, I do want to get to reading soon.

I ended up making my Summer Wand to Read pretty ambitious by accident but I think i'll be ok. Granted with "want" to read I could decide i'm not in the mood to read any of them and choose something else as I don't want to force myself through a book i'm not feeling at the moment and end up ruining the book, but i'm normally flexible enough in my reading moods I don't think this will be a problem, but we'll see. It's also ok if I don't manage to get through them all, I will in time. Each of these books I do want to get to soon for one reason or another depending on the book. Below the picture of the books i'll say why I want to get to each book and link to their Goodreads page. They are in no particular order.



The Outsiders by S. E. Hinton- I read this book back in 7th grade, at just 12 years old. I don't remember much about it other than pony boy, some gang apparently called the greasers, and they were smoking cigarettes which 12 year old me found scandalous (I was a goodie two shoes)...and that I absolutely loved it! I also remember thinking, since I wasn't allowed to read stuff like Harry Potter (because I was told magic is of the devil and will send me to hell), that if my parents knew I was reading it (and I had to for school, it was a school assigned book) that I would have been in SO much trouble, though I can't remember why I thought that. It could have just been my 12 year old goodie two shoes self. So I am VERY excited to read this again, at 27, and see what captured my 12 year old brain so much! It is the ONLY book I remember reading for school and actually enjoying! I've also heard a ton of people love this book too.

Since you've been gone by Morgan Matson- I'm not much for contemporary or so I say. I've only read 'Not Otherwise Specified' by Hannah Moskowitz, because i'm bisexual and had never read a book with a bisexual character, let alone a bisexual main character and I loved it beyond words and could have used it 13 years earlier! Anyway back to Since you've been gone, I had heard about it awhile ago and it has stayed on my brain ever since, the premise sounds interesting enough to me. Normally the only contemporary that pique my interest are LGBT+ ones, because reasons, however it sounds like a fun nice summer read and I think I may actually want to read summer-y contemporaries in the summer..so we'll see. I also know she has recently come out with another book that everyone has been raving about, The Unexpected Everything, and if I enjoy this one i'll probably pick that one up too!

Night of the living dummy and The Haunted Mask by R. L. Stine- Goosebumps are what got me into reading as a child, yes there is plenty of nostalgia here! I loved Goosebumps as a 90s kid. I want to see what captured my child brain, and cheesy horror books, even for children, are right up my alley! No matter what, Goosebumps will always have a place in my heart.

Hollow City by Ransom Riggs- Honestly, i'm not too excited for this one. I didn't care for the first book in the trilogy, I couldn't stand the main character and most of the story felt slow. I felt the ending of the book was better than the beginning and middle though, not that I remember it now, and it had the first chapter I believe in the back of the book of this one, which I read and it sounded like it might be more interesting. I've heard it said that the first book is the best and i've also heard it said that the 2nd and 3rd are better than the first, so we'll see which camp i'm in I guess. And the books are soo pretty...which I know doesn't matter but omg the pictures <3. If I don't enjoy this book more than the first one I won't pick up the last one, but if I do I probably will, so we'll see. It's the main character that made me really dislike the first book, not that it was slow paced. I can enjoy slow paced books, and even books with unlikeable main characters if it seems like that is the point, but it seemed like I was actually supposed to like him..hence my problem.

Killer Pizza by Greg Taylor- All I know is from the blurb, a guy wants to be a famous chef, lands a job at "killer pizza", where pies like The Monstrosity and The Frankensausage are on the menu, and his life seems perfect...until he finds out apparently it's a front for a monster-hunting organization. Learning to cook pizzas is one thing, but killing hideously terrifying monsters? That’s a whole other story. Still, if Toby quits Killer Pizza, will monsters take over his town? It sounds like an interesting ride to me and is the first book of a trilogy, so if I like it i'll have to pick up #2 and 3! Monster hunting and pizza...what more could I want? :D

The Tale of the body thief by Anne Rice- It's the 4th book of "The Vampire Chronicles" series and as i've read, and enjoyed, the first 3 I want to read this next one and see where it goes. I don't want to potentially spoil anyone, this being the 4th book, so i'll leave it at that, and I also don't know much of what to expect in this one anyway.

Dracula by Bram Stoker- I love vampires, and horror, and messed up things...and this is a vampire horror classic, of course I want to read Dracula! I can't wait until I dig into this one!

The Abyss surrounds us by Emily Skrutskie- Lesbian pirates and sea monsters. This is all I know, and it's all I need to know to be excited to read it! I've heard good things about it, and some decent things, and I can't wait to read it!

Aristotle and Dante discover the secrets of the universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz- I've heard a TON of awesome things about this book! What I've heard is Aristotle and Dante are two Mexican-American boys who develop a great friendship that turns into romance and have very good family relationships, and so many people love this book and it sounds amazing and I NEED to read it!

Peter Pan by J. M. Barrie- A classic children's tale that i've never read nor seen (as far as I can remember) and I love fairy tale retellings and there are Peter Pan retellings I want to read so first I want to read the actual Peter Pan story. Sure I've heard about it and know the basic premise...but I need to read it.

Sweetly by Jackson Pearce- This is the 2nd book in a fairy tale retelling companion series. I have read the first one, Sisters Red, which is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. This one is a retelling of Hansel and Gretel. Even though they do not have to be read in order or even all of them, apparently some characters make appearances from previous ones but it isn't really important to know that, I want to read them in order anyway. The 3rd one is a retelling of The Little Mermaid and the 4th of The Snow Queen (which i've never even heard of before).

So i'm excited to see what summer has in store for my reading plans! Let me know if you've read any of these, what you thought (without spoilers) and if there is any I MUST get to asap!

No comments:

Post a Comment