Friday, May 27, 2016

The Haunted Mask Book Review



Goosebumps! I haven't read or watched Goosebumps since I was a child in the 90s, and I loved it back then! Goosebumps got me into reading in the first place as a child. So finally, I picked up a Goosebumps book again!

A shy, easily scared, 11 year old girl named Carly Beth is tired of being so easily scared, all the teasing and all the laughing at her. She vows to get revenge on her 2 friends Steve and Chuck on Halloween. She finds a really creepy realistic mask in a Halloween store just in time, that the owner reluctantly sells her since she wasn't supposed to see those ones.

Watching her go from an easily startled 11 year old girl to a demon out for blood was creepy, and I felt, quite realistic. I remember being a child and how much being teased and laughed at all the time hurts. Being able to get revenge would have been so tempting. Of course this is a horror book and the desire for a little revenge goes out of control, to the point she is no longer sure where the mask ends and she begins.

A part of me knew I should have been disapproving of her behavior...but instead I gleefully watched as she became a little terror to those around her. It didn't seem scary (to me) until she realized the mask wouldn't come off, and she might be stuck this way. I liked the twist at the end too.

The explanation felt a bit silly at times, but it's Goosebumps, a children's story. I enjoyed the book very much for the 2 hours it took me to read it. It's a fun entertaining read. I gave it 4.75 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment