Tuesday, October 18, 2016

And the Trees Crept In by Dawn Kurtagich Book Thoughts



The Blurb

"When Silla and her little sister, Nori, escape London and their abusive father, Aunt Cath's country house feels like a safe haven. Leaving the smog and fear behind, the girls have the love and freedom they never had in their violent home. But slowly, ever so slowly, things begin to unravel.

Aunt Cath locks herself in the attic and spends day and night pacing; every day the surrounding forest inches slowly towards the house; a mysterious boy appears from the enclosing wood offering friendship, and Nori claims that a man watches them from the dark forest. A man with no eyes who creeps ever closer."

My Thoughts

First I think I'm supposed to say I read an uncorrected proof but I didn't really notice many issues with that. I had gotten it from netgalley and should have read it months ago.

Anyway this book was...strange. I very much enjoyed it though! It was confusing at first trying to figure out what was going on but in a way that made me want to keep reading to figure it out. I kept thinking I knew what was going on...and then I kept being wrong. I did not see that ending coming and I loved it! It tugged at my heart and did make me cry and now I can't stop thinking about the book. I am writing this after having read it and gotten some sleep and I still can't stop thinking about the book and putting together all the little puzzle pieces.

The ending did wrap up a bit too fast for my taste. Everything is wrapped up nicely but kind of fast at the end. I just wish there was a little more to it.

The writing drew me in and had me wanting to keep reading to figure out what the heck was going on. It was very atmospheric and I had no trouble picturing it in my head. The pacing was pretty good, maybe a little slow to start and fast to wrap up at the end. It was creepy and that is exactly what I was looking for.

If you want a creepy book that will have you guessing until the end i'd recommend it.

3.75 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment