Saturday, December 31, 2016

Peter Pan and Symbiont Seeking Symbiont thoughts, last books of the year

Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie



Synopsis

"Peter Pan is a character created by Scottish novelist and playwright J. M. Barrie. A mischievous boy who can fly and never grows up, Peter Pan spends his never-ending childhood adventuring on the small island of Neverland as the leader of his gang, the Lost Boys, interacting with mermaids, Native Americans, fairies, pirates, and occasionally ordinary children from the world outside of Neverland. In addition to two distinct works by Barrie, the character has been featured in a variety of media and merchandise, both adapting and expanding on Barrie's works."

My Thoughts

I'm going to keep these reviews short as I don't have much to say on either of them, the year is almost over and I have a bad headache that won't go away. Anyway Peter Pan...

Good points: Imgainative, the whole message and stuff about not growing up, Peter Pan is an interesting character and there are some good points and some fun throughout the story.

Bad points: Racism, Sexism, problematic stuff through-out the story that goes unchallenged and no i'm not giving it a break for being a "product of it's time", and who let's children read this book?

1.5 stars out of 5

Symbiont Seeking Symbiont by Jennifer Foehner Wells



Synopsis

"A short story

Allus Jenson is a space pirateer on a layover between jobs. The ship she lives and works in is waylaid on a barren planet for repairs. She’s bored, goes for a stroll, and meets someone who would very much like to spend the rest of their life with her."

My Thoughts

This is a short story (I read it in less than an hour I believe) and while it's short I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed it! I didn't think i'd be into a short story but I believe I got it when it was free because the cover is interesting and had an interesting sounding, to me, synopsis. I figured why not and yes, I choose it because it's short and wanted one more book for the year, hey at least i'm honest. Anyway it's a short sci-fi story and it's not what you'd expect from the synopsis though it is accurate. There is a twist to it, alice in wonderland references, the main character is a lesbian, it's funny, creepy, strange and educational. I loved it and it even had me thinking after I read it! For a short story to do all that had me surprised. I really need to get into short stories more!

A solid 4 stars out of 5

No comments:

Post a Comment