Thursday, April 27, 2017

Diversity Spotlight Thursday #4

Diversity Spotlight Thursday is a weekly meme created by Aimal! Every week, you come up with one book in each of three different categories: a diverse book you have read and enjoyed, a diverse book on your TBR, and one that has not yet been released. You can check out their announcement post here.

I have since starting this realized I don't read that fast and there are 52 weeks in a year...so I won't be able to have one every week but will do one as often as I can. I love Diversity Spotlight!

A Diverse book you have read and enjoyed:
Far From You by Tess Sharpe

A Mystery with a bisexual main character that suffers from chronic pain and an addiction to pain pills. The author is also bisexual and deals with chronic pain, though for a different reason than the protagonist. I reviewed it Here.


















Diverse book on your TBR:
Twice Dead: Contagion by Suchitra Chatterjee

I first heard about this book in a horror group i'm in on Goodreads. There is a thread where free (generally temporarily) E-Books are posted, and I was browsing through them...I think it was just a few days ago as a new selection was posted for that day. This was in there, and I decided to check it out. I saw it's about disabled people fighting zombies and my first thought was "this is what i've always wanted but this could be very very bad or very very good" and obviously I haven't read it yet BUT I did check out the author!

I found her Twitter Here and her very interesting (long but interesting!) bio on Amazon Here (it's on the side). She is also disabled and it appears to be own voices. I had to snatch it up! This is part of her bio on Amazon if you don't want to check out the whole thing.

"Twice Dead - Contagion which is the first in a trilogy was born out of conversations I have had with fellow disabled people about books and how WE are represented in them. Especially in the horror/fantasy/sci-fi genre.

"We are never the heroes," one friend said. "We get eaten first" another friend said of the Zombie Genre.

"Why can't disabled people be heroes in books?" was another comment.

The actress Sarah Gordy, of Upstairs Downstairs, Call the Midwife, and Culture Device Dance Project is one of those friends who talked candidly with me about disability and the arts. She told me her greatest wish was to have a part in Doctor Who, to be the first person with Down's Syndrome to do so. But this wouldn't happen she said, until there was more books, plays, and such like out in the public domain.

So Twice Dead - Contagion is a book about a Zombie Apocalypse where disabled people make their own stand and become the heroes we are denied in real life...unless we just happen to be a Paralympian (who I think are amazing) but not everyone is a Paralympian, some of us are spectators but that does not make us any less of a person."


That honestly brings tears to my eyes. I'm hoping to get to this in the next few months and if I like it I will get a physical copy! I love The Walking Dead for example...but disabled people just never appear (or they die) in zombie/apocalypse stories as a general rule. And honestly it's always bugged me and, being disabled too, kinda feels crappy. This sounds like my type of book!

Diverse book that has not yet been released:
How to Make a Wish by Ashley Herring Blake

The main character is bisexual and so is the author, so it's own voices there. I've heard from those that have read ARCs that the word bisexual is used on the page! The love Interest is biracial and gay. The love interest also explains why she hates being called exotic. Also, sex-positive. Keep in mind these are things i've heard from those that read ARCs and i've heard nothing but good things! I am definitley looking forward to this book, it comes out May 2nd!

Also after doing this I realized I put this on my first Diversity Spotlight...oops. I'm sorry for that but why not hype it up again close to release? *shrugs* It's almost Thursday as I write this and I wasn't expecting to do one this week but then Twice Dead became a thing and I wanted to mention it and yeah...here we are. I am really excited for How to Make a Wish if that counts for anything! :D


What diverse books have you read and enjoyed? What ones are on your TBR, whether they have come out yet or not? Have you read any of these books and if so what did you think of them?

No comments:

Post a Comment