Monday, June 5, 2017

Queens of Geek by Jen Wilde book thoughts


Title: Queens of Geek
Series: Standalone
Author: Jen Wilde
Published Date: March 14th, 2017
Publisher: Swoon Reads
Source: I bought it
# of Pages: 262
Genre: Contemporary/Romance
Read: June 2017

Goodreads Synopsis

When BFFs Charlie, Taylor and Jamie go to SupaCon, they know it’s going to be a blast. What they don’t expect is for it to change their lives forever.

Charlie likes to stand out. SupaCon is her chance to show fans she’s over her public breakup with co-star, Reese Ryan. When Alyssa Huntington arrives as a surprise guest, it seems Charlie’s long-time crush on her isn’t as one-sided as she thought.

While Charlie dodges questions about her personal life, Taylor starts asking questions about her own.

Taylor likes to blend in. Her brain is wired differently, making her fear change. And there’s one thing in her life she knows will never change: her friendship with Jamie—no matter how much she may secretly want it to. But when she hears about the Queen Firestone SupaFan Contest, she starts to rethink her rules on playing it safe.

Rating: 5/5

Quotes

"I breathe out a long sigh, knowing he doesn't understand. That's different. I planned for this. I prepared for this. I knew this was coming for weeks. And coming to SupaCon is something i've always wanted to do. Just because I made it here doesn't mean it was easy. And just because I don't seem overwhelmed doesn't mean i'm not."

"Everything feels like i'm on a stage, spotlight on me, all eyes on me, watching, judging. Like i'm one second away from total disaster. It's invisible, it's irrational, it's never-ending. I could be standing there, smiling and chatting like everything is totally fine, while secretly wanting to scream and cry and run away. No one would ever know. In my mind, no one can hear me scream. I hide it because I know it's not understood or acceptable-because I'm not understood or acceptable. So here I am, hiding it. Standing in a toilet stall, trying to remember how to breathe."

""But how could you possibly know you're bi? Have you ever been with a girl?"
"How did you know you were straight before you were with a girl, Reese?"" (Me: Hell fucking yes!!!!)

""Social what?"
"Social hangovers. It's like a normal hangover, but instead of being caused by too much alcohol, it's caused by too much social exposure and over-stimulation of the senses."" (Me: I get those. I understand that so well!)

""This is all too much," I say, just as someone behind me says something funny and their whole table roars with laughter. Everything is loud. I feel like a train is barreling toward me, lights blinding me, sound deafening me. I can't think."

""We're all messy. What kind of friends would we be if we demanded you only show us your prettiness? This isn't Insagram-it's real life. And real life is messy.""

My Thoughts

Charlie, Jamie and Taylor go from Australia to the USA for SupaCon. A Con all about fandoms and geeking out! It's told in alternating chapters between Charlie and Taylor. Charlie is Asian Australian and Bisexual. Taylor is Autistic, has Anxiety and is fat (and ok with that!). I think Jamie is latinx as it mentions his abuelo.

I related so unbelievably hard with Taylor! I wasn't expecting it. I too have suffered with anxiety my whole life. Anxiety, Panic Attacks...and while I knew going into the book Taylor has anxiety I didn't expect just how much it's shown in the book and beautifully so! Her thoughts, her feelings, her voice. I have had so many of those same thoughts and feelings my entire life, and as a teenager I felt like the only one in the world that felt that way. I didn't know back then that I wasn't alone, everyone just seemed to think I was a freak at best, or a snob at worst because they mistook my shyness and anxiety as thinking I was better than them, when really I didn't, I was just terrified and like a Deer in headlights, and thinking because of my issues they were waaaay better than me, but that isn't what they saw. Taylor is teenage me to a tee!

If I had this book 15 years ago, it would have helped me so much, and i'm so glad it exists now. I know i'm not alone and i've heard so many people relate to this book so much and have felt the same way! I hugged this book and cried more times than I can count.

It has so many beautiful messages and themes strewn through-out it but never felt forced to me. Sexism in the acting world and being yourself and not caring what others think among them and more. It called out slut-shaming, and had girls who, despite being in the same competition, supported each other and were there for each other.

Charlie's bisexuality representation was so simple, and amazing. It was exactly like my own experience. Nothing special. Just simple and there. I also really appreciated how bisexual was used on the page! While I related so much to Taylor, I loved Charlie too. She's more outgoing but still has her insecurities. I can't forget Jamie either, loved him as well! All the main characters were amazing. Human but caring, kind, and themselves. Charlie's ex Reese is a douche-bag, but that is made very clear, and he's, sadly, a believable douche-bag. I say sadly because it's sad people like him really exist (and seem to be everywhere). Charlie has her issues but comes out on top and won't put up with the bullshit! I loved her amazing character development! Taylor's too for that matter!

I also loved how social media played an important part in the book just like it does in the real world today. The plot was also fun and the pacing nice and fast, though I had to stop a lot in order to catch my breath and tame my overwhelming feels.

This book may deal with some heavy topics but it is full of a message of hope. I don't know how to put that in words that sound right to me, but it is a very uplifting book. I also want to mention the 2 romances in the book, one is F/F and both are so swoon-worthy and adorable! I'm not one to always love romances, it depends on how it is done, and I loved these!

This book had me from the very beginning and sucked me in more and more. I squealed, I cried, I swooned, I laughed out loud, and I fangirled harder than I ever have before over a book! There is obviously so much more i'd want to say or quote but I don't want to spoil it for anyone. It's something you just have to experience for yourself! I highly recommend this book to everyone, especially if you have anxiety! It's also own voices for autism, anxiety and bisexuality!

2 comments:

  1. I've seen a ton of reviews for this and how great it is, and I am so glad you enjoyed it so much too! Yeah for realistic portrayals of diversity! :) Thanks for sharing and, as always, fabulous review! <3

    ~ Zoe @ Stories on Stage

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting! :D I loved Queens of Geek so much I can't stop thinking about it <3 I'm certain it'll end up on my favorite reads of 2017! :)

      Delete