Wednesday, June 7, 2017

The Library of Souls by Richard Denney book thoughts


Title: The Library of Souls
Series: No
Author: Richard Denney
Published Date: August 22nd, 2017
Publisher: Amazon
Source: Requested an E-ARC
# of Pages: 155
Genre: Middle Grade/Horror
Read: June 2017

Goodreads Synopsis

Be careful what you check out...

Ever since he could remember Simon Santiago could see and talk to the dead. When his parents are killed in a train accident, he is sent to live with his estranged con man of an uncle who intends to use poor Simon for his own greedy needs. Soon Simon is put on as his uncle's assistant in a Ghost Expelling agency and carries out the hard work for his uncle: getting rid of the ghosts.

Now thirteen with his ability at full maximum Simon is ready to take on bigger tasks with his uncle's booming agency getting more and more publicity and calls day by day. When a phone call comes in from a desperate librarian at an infamously haunted library, Simon is all too eager to get to work. But when they arrive at the sprawling mansion of a library, Simon quickly discovers that there's something else haunting the library and its thirst for Simon's soul is dangerously clear from the moment he steps foot into the building.

With the help of a librarian's niece and a mute spirit of the library, Simon is determined to find out what is really going on before his soul as well as his uncle's are added to the ever-growing system of The Library of Souls. Will Simon and his new friend make it out alive?

Find out in the brand new Middle-Grade Horror novel from YouTube personality Richard Denney, featuring an array of spooky photographs that will chill you to the bone... if you're not already dead.

Rating: 4.5/5

My Thoughts

Thank you to Richard Denney for an e-arc for an honest review. As such stuff is subject to change.

From the beginning I was interested. I quickly got to like Simon Santiago, who is a 13 year old boy who can see and talk to ghosts. Not everyone can but he isn't the only one who can either. He lives with his uncle since his parents died when he was younger and his uncle uses him to get money by getting rid of ghosts for people, though his uncle takes the credit even though he can't see ghosts himself.

Simon is a nice character and I loved hearing his voice. He doesn't exactly have an easy life and he did come across to me as a 13 year old boy, and one with a good heart, albeit one that's hurting. When he finds out there are others like him though, Ghost Talkers, he was glad to know he wasn't as alone as he thought. I can relate to the feeling of finding out there are others like you after thinking for so long it was just you. It's always nice to know one isn't alone after all. I just loved Simon! I related to certain things and got teary, even crying at certain parts, when he was hurting, and for good reason. I also loved the development he went through, even though it is a short book and I would have gladly taken a bit more time with it.

The plot kept me intrigued and while I thought I knew where it was going, I ended up being wrong and got smacked with a plot twist! :D It's always nice when it isn't predictable after all. It was a fast-paced. It's also a short story and I was able to read it in one day and i'm a slow reader. A nice, creepy, short story for when you want a fast creepy read. Also since I read an ARC most of the pictures aren't in it yet, but i'm sure they will add to the story once it's out!

I also appreciated that there is a medium that uses a wheelchair and a mute ghost, that had been born mute.

If it sounds interesting to you, pick it up when it releases August 22nd!

Edit: October 1st. I bought a physical copy. My initial ARC rating was a 3.75 and with the finished copy came some slight changes and pictures! I have upped my rating to 4.5 and definitely recommend checking this out if a spooky middle grade reads is up your alley!

No comments:

Post a Comment