Saturday, September 2, 2017

The Martian by Andy Weir book thoughts


Title: The Martian
Series: No
Author: Andy Weir
Published Date: Sept 27th, 2012
Publisher: Broadway Books
Source: I bought it
# of Pages: 435
Format: Paperback
Genre: Sci-Fi
Days to Read: 4
Rating: 3.75 stars
Would I recommend it?: Yes
Would I read more books by this Author?: Yes
My Social Media: Goodreads/My Booktube Channel/Twitter/Instagram



Goodreads Synopsis

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first people to walk on Mars.

Now, he's sure he'll be the first person to die there.

After a dust storm nearly kills him and forces his crew to evacuate while thinking him dead, Mark finds himself stranded and completely alone with no way to even signal Earth that he’s alive—and even if he could get word out, his supplies would be gone long before a rescue could arrive.

Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to kill him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills—and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit—he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. Will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?

My Thoughts

I thoroughly enjoyed and ate this book up! I was a little hesitant because I heard how sciency it is, and it is, but I found out understanding said science is not required, thankfully! I was still able to get the story and what was going on. I really liked Mark, he uses a bit of humor at times to help him get through rough times so there were plenty of laugh out loud moments as well as tension and emotional moments. I had to keep turning the pages to find out what was going to happen and how he'd survive being stranded on Mars, would they get to him in time?

His fellow crew mates had every reason to think he was dead when he wasn't hence how he ended up being stranded on Mars.

There were a couple really short moments that bugged me. One comment about wearing diapers seeming to imply that only babies wear diapers (and if you're an EVA suit of course). I have a neurogenic bladder and was born with IA (imperforate anus) aka I lack all control at the back end because I don't have a sphincter, I grew up doing enemas called malones through inserting a catheter into my belly button and hooking it up to saline because nothing would happen otherwise and i'd have accidents. I now have a colostomy. My bladder issues, I should really see a doctor about but right now just always wearing a pad is enough because I leak. I can't help these issues but they are purely physical. I was born with vacterl association, I am a complex medical mess and a lot of adults, even young ones, or teens, may have to wear diapers because of medical issues they can't control but that don't mean they are a baby or anything like that. It's a quick thing that maybe I took too personally but that is just my experience.

There is also one joke about prostitution which i'm sure to some people wouldn't be funny and could be hurtful. There is also one instance of rape mentioned but not in the literal sense. It's about "raping the MAV" aka tearing it apart so he could escape Mars, which while I understood is also...eh and again I mention it for those that might want to be warned of that.

Cons aside I loved Mark! I loved getting his thoughts as it's mostly told in his POV. I laughed, I cried, I was worried about him. I loved the morals of not giving up and that humans, at least most of us, care about trying to help each other in times of crisis. Marks POV was just everything to me. I had no idea that such a science heavy book about a guy stranded on Mars could be so entertaining and readable but it was and I do very much recommend it!

2 comments:

  1. Oh I do want to read this one! I do feel your pain at any off-handed ableist remarks like that. They're really not okay and very disappointing. Often times in books I don't think they're meant cruelly, but books NEED to do better. *sad face*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was just one short thing so I don't think it was ment cruelly or even really thought about. I'm just more sensitive to ableism because of my medical issues, I was born with them and have always been disabled.

      That said though I still do recommend this and very much enjoyed it! Thank you for reading and commenting. :)

      Delete