Thursday, January 18, 2018

Haunted by R.L.Stine book thoughts


Title: Haunted
Series: Yes (Fear Street #7, is basically a standalone series)
Author: R.L. Stine
Published Date: 1990
Publisher: Simon Pulse
Source: I bought it
# of Pages: 164
Format: Physical
Genre: Horror
Days to Read: 2
Rating: 3.25 / 5 stars
My Social Media:Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram

Goodreads Synopsis

Welcome to Fear Street.

Don’t listen to the stories they tell you about Fear Street. Wouldn’t you rather explore it yourself…and see if its dark terrors and unexplained mysteries are true? You’re not afraid, are you?

The Night Stalker

Melissa woke up screaming. The prowler was at her window…or was he? The recent headlines about a Fear Street prowler had everyone on edge. Her father now kept a loaded pistol in his bedroom. That made it even more frightening—and real.

Then the haunting began: her new car driving as if someone else had taken control; her birthday presents ripped open by unseen hands; an invisible force trying to push her out the bedroom window.

Out of the shadows of her bedroom came a menacing figure. Who was he? Did he really come from beyond the grave? And why had he come to kill her? If Melissa doesn’t solve the mystery fast, these questions will haunt her—to death!

My Thoughts

I really did enjoy this book for the most part! I think I also need to stop looking at reviews before I read a book. Afterwards sure, maybe see things differently or new things, but not before. That just leads to disaster.

Anyway I was on the edge of my seat for most of the book. I needed to know how it would pan out even as I got worried about the ending. I related to Melissa in some ways. Not entirely because I didn't grow up rich but she isn't a typical snob. Her second guessing herself, her feeling frustrated that no one would listen to her, thinking maybe they were right, being timid but also being able to stick up for herself when she had too.

There is a lot of rape culture in the book. To me it always looked like a bad thing, it wasn't condoned in my eyes. She got frustrated, she said no, you heard her thoughts. If you honestly think that crap is ok i'd have to say the problem is with you, not the book. I do get how this book isn't for everyone though. Could it have been clearer? Maybe, but it seemed obvious to me. I like it didn't talk down to it's readers.

It's not the most well written, it's R.L.Stine and early in his career too I believe. But I did see it tackle some things and I really liked that. The ending could very understandably piss people off though. I see that clearly. To me it makes me think, and I like books that make me think. The plot was a bit...contrived to say the least. And a bit far-fetched. It's not ment to be a masterpiece though. I enjoyed it for what it was. As always these are just my thoughts on the book.

TW: Attempted rape, rape culture

No comments:

Post a Comment