Friday, December 28, 2018

Book Postscript 2018 Tag

I was tagged by @book_invasion whose video is Here and the original video is Here

1. The longest book you read this year and the book that took you the longest to finish.

For longest book my year in 2018 on Goodreads will tell you The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales but I started that in 2016, I was already on page 353, so i'm counting my longest as Horrors! 365 Scary Stories. As for what took me the longest to finish, The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales. THREE YEARS. Horrors! 365 Scary Stories coming in second place and I read that through-out the year, with it's 365 short stories.

2. A book you read in 2018 that was outside of your comfort zone.

I don't really have a comfort zone, I love reading all over the place.

3. How many books did you re-read in 2018?

4 depending on your definition of re-reading. I re-read Frankenstein by Mary Shelley, or at least in a way because I read the 1831 version in 2015 (I didn't know it wasn't the original, or that there was a more conservative version which is what I read) and this year I read the original 1818 version. I also re-read Say Cheese and Die! by R.L. Stine as i'm positive I read it as a child, but there's about 20 years between those reads! Also Silent Night by R.L. Stine which I read as a teenager so about 15 years between those reads? And also Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom which I read 3 years ago and loved. Still love it.

4. Favorite re-read of 2018

Krampus: The Yule Lord by Brom, I read it in December of 2015 and kept wanting to re-read it every December but never getting to it, I finally did this year! I love the amount of heart and care that went into this book!

5. A book you read for the first time in 2018 that you look forward to re-reading in the future

Curved Horizon by Taylor Brooke, it's the second book in the "Camellia Clock Cycle" duology. I had gotten both from Netgalley and loved them so much! I need to get them in finished form and re-read them someday! A wonderful queer and heartfelt duology dealing with friendships and mental health that I really related too.

6. Favorite single short story or novella that you read in 2018

Mothmen: Myths and Legends Volume One by Kaelan Rhywiol, a m/m/f polyamorous kinky triad involving moth people where you really get to know all 3 of the characters and it deals with grief, communication and consent. It's freaking awesome! I want more with these characters <3.

7. Mass Appeal: A book you liked and would recommend to a wide variety of readers

Are we smart enough to know how smart animals are? by Frans De Waal, an engaging, accessible, balanced and eye-opening book about animals! There are plenty of other books i'd love to put here but I know wouldn't be for everyone as much as i'd hope them to be, so I think this is probably the safest bet.

8. Specialized Appeal: A book you liked but would be hesitant to recommend to just anyone

Never Be Alone by Paige Dearth, Paige Dearth's books (that i've read so far, this one and Mean Little People), are hard-hitting realistic horror. Stuff that happens everyday to people. Homelessness, child abuse, drugs, prostitution etc. They are heartfelt and really really hard to get through but oh so important stories that need to be heard. I'd hesitate because these are NOT books to go into when you're in a bad mental space. Take care of yourself first and make sure you're ready. And keep the tissues handy.

9. Reflect on your year as a bookish content creator (goals met, good/bad memories, favorite videos you made, etc)

I honestly haven't really thought about it. I think I did ok. I didn't draw like I wanted to but books-wise I read more than my goal of 104 and read a lot of awesome books! I kept my booktube channel going. I did a little readathon. Reviewed every book I read in Recent Reads videos. Had some T5W videos (which now I do on this blog), did some tags. Ooh I know a favorite thing I did this year, my "Why i'm done with saying "guilty pleasure"" blog post! I don't tend to do many discussions but I did this one and i'm happy with it. Goodbye being guilty for reading!

10. Tag some fellow bookish content creators

I honestly feel like everyone's been tagged at this point and I get tag anxiety, so if you want to do this consider yourself tagged!

Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment