Thursday, December 6, 2018

Goals for 2019!

I have a lot of goals for 2019! Why so many? Because I want to have fun with my hobbies and make 2019 as good of a year as I can. If I don't strictly complete ALL THE THINGS I will not be considering it a failure. These are things to basically help me have fun and do the things I want to do. If I have fun and don't stress myself out over things that don't need to be stressed out over it'll be a success. I just want to do these things, or at least attempt them and hopefully have fun. That's my main goal of 2019, have as much fun as possible. So without further ado, here are my "goals".

1. Re-read 12 or more books

I want to re-read all 7 of the original Harry Potter books, the first 3 books in The Vampire Chronicles series by Anne Rice (and then continue with that series), and The Abyss Surrounds Us duology by Emily Skrutskie. That right there is 12 books...and there are plenty more books I want to re-read. Some just because, some so I can refresh my brain before continuing with a series.

2. Catch up and/or finish some series

I want to make it at least somewhat of a focus next year to continue with, catch up on, and finish some damn series! The amount of series i'm in the middle of and/or have read the first book in is...well...shameful. If a series isn't complete I might wait until it is but there are series that are complete, or will finish next year, that I can finish. I can make progress, hopefully.

3. Read at least 12 Nonfiction books

There are SO MANY I want to read but i've barely stepped my toe into nonfiction. But I love what i've read so far and there are so many nonfiction books I wanna read!

4. Read some poetry

I'm not big into poetry but i've read a little, and enjoyed some of it. I'm thinking read at least 6 poetry books next year?

5. Read at least 6 classics

Like poetry, i'm not big into classics, but there is one here and there that I enjoy and there are some I want to give a shot. Though classics will take me a lot longer than poetry will. Numbers are somewhat arbitrary (i'll be happy if I at least attempt the goals to read so many books of x type even if I don't reach the specified number). This is not counting Edgar Allen Poe and H.P. Lovecraft as I have the complete collections of both of their works as kindle books and I do want to work on them in 2019 as well, in addition to some other classics.

6. Read at least 12 Queer books (that I already owned in 2018)

Pretty self explanatory. I'm queer (bisexual to be exact) and I want to read queer books. Re-reads do not count.

7. Read more short stories

Say at least 18? I mean I classify short stories as under 100-110 pages so..

8. Read some creature feature books

I'm aiming for 8-12. Cryptids count.

9. Read some Bizarro fiction

I'm aiming for at least 6 things. Keep in mind things CAN overlap. I'm not sure if they will but it's allowed.

10. Read a book for my group every month

I mean I know I don't strictly have to, but i'd like to. My group is (18+) Creatures, Creatures Everywhere!. Each month has a theme, each theme being a creature. Like aliens (January), Succubus/Incubus (February) and more. Zombies, Demons, Ghosts etc.

11. Read some Stephen King books

Say, at least 4?

12. Read what I want when I want

This may sound the opposite of the above, but I WANT to read those things. I'll just read them when I want and hopefully do at least ok on the "goals". I can keep them in my mind and be like "hmm...do I want to read this at the moment" type of thing. But no forcing. That defeats the "fun" purpose. Though I don't seem to be too much of a mood reader anyway so...maybe that helps? Of course this also includes everything that isn't somehow mentioned here. All the things. Dying to read it? READ IT.

13. Read more of my "favorite" authors and genres

By "favorite" authors I mean authors i've read like...1 or 2 books...loved it...and just...haven't read any more by them. Genres is pretty self explanatory.

14. Draw

I want to draw and I never do. I don't need to be great or even good. I just want to draw for my own fun. I need to allow myself to be ok with that.

15. Spend time on other hobbies too

Besides reading, there is: Drawing (see above), watching tv, movies, playing video games, listening to music. Maybe try some writing out? Who knows.

16. Check out some podcasts

And for the love of God catch up on Books in the Freezer!

17. Read some fanfiction, wattpad, webtoons and AO3 Stories

Because I can. Because I want to but never allow myself to because it "doesn't count" towards Goodreads. Who cares?! Though some wattpad and webtoons stories do but not usually. It counts as reading at the very least. Do it because I want to. Goodreads goal be damned.

18. Color some

I have adult coloring books that I never color in. Why? I should fix this. Even though i'm not good at coloring...note to self: see drawing goal.

19. Get new glasses and bookshelves

This is something that I need. Especially the glasses.

20. Set Goodreads goal low

Low for me anyway. So as to not stress about it. 26-78...I'm thinking 65. Somewhere in there. And then LET. IT. BE. I enjoyed pushing myself these past couple years. I don't need to do that anymore. Reading is a hobby of mine, nothing more.

21. Blog More

I want to blog more

22. Be as consistent as I can

This applies to blogging and booktubing. However I do live with chronic pain, a lot of medical issues, and there is life in general. I know my health matters first. So I want to be as consistent as I reasonably can. I want to have more content basically. Do things.

23. Read other blogs more

Self explanatory. It's not like I don't, I just want to make more of an effort to do so. And maybe comment sometimes...that sounds like a good idea.

24. Read "taboo" stories, erotica and smut

I want to read some taboo stories, as well as erotica and smut (though i'm not classifying erotica or smut in and of themselves as taboo, I just figured i'd mention this all in one goal, because reasons). While taboo, erotica, and smut all mean different things, I just want to read a mix of them all with no particular numbers in mind.

25. Read Twilight and 50 Shades of Grey

I've never read either and a good friend of mine wants me to try them out, and I want to try them out. We'll see what happens.

26. Continue the Kiss of the Moon series by C.R. Gangell

The Kiss of the Moon series is Here on Wattpad. Well that's the beginning of the first book. My husband has read the entire series (more than once) and loves it. I read the first one and really did enjoy it. He won't stop bugging me about continuing (and finishing) the series. It's a long series though so i'd like to continue with it and get at least half way done. It is on Goodreads too!
(edited later in January: I have no desire to continue this series, I liked the first book but it's so complicated for me, so many characters and I have absolutely no desire to continue with it. It's not bad but I wanted to continue it because my husband loves it so much but I had to come to the realization the thought of it was stressing me, the exact OPPOSITE of what I want my reading to do. I quit the series. If fantasy and shifters and werewolves are your thing, check it out. It's not bad, it's just not for me).

27. Read the books I got from Netgalley...and then NEVER GO BACK

Will I succeed at that second half? STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT. Lol.

28. Read at least 4 spiritual nonfiction books and practice my spirituality more

I'm Wiccan and I want to read more pagan-related books, but I also want to take my time with them.

29. Practice my spirituality more

Pretty self-explanatory.

30. Watch some documentaries and more movies

I don't have a set number of movies I want to watch I just want to watch more of them as I have so many I want to watch! Also 29 is an awkward number so I wanted an even 30.

Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

2 comments:

  1. This is an excellent list! You have inspired me to adopt many of these goals too.

    ReplyDelete