Saturday, December 28, 2019

How to Be You: Stop Trying to Be Someone Else and Start Living Your Life by Jeffrey Marsh book thoughts

How to Be You by Jeffrey Marsh

Synopsis: This book is about how to finally give up on feeling bad about ourselves and discover the best person we can be.

An interactive experience, How to Be You invites you to make the book your own through activities such as coloring in charts, answering questions about how you do the things you do, and discovering patterns in your lives that may be holding you back. Through Jeffrey's own story of "growing up fabulous in a small farming town"--along with the stories of hero/ines who have transcended the stereotypes of race, age, and gender--you will discover that you are not alone, can deepen your relationship with yourself, and find the courage to take a leap that will change your life.

In a Nutshell: A guide on how to be you, whoever that is. Self-care.

Published: Aug 2nd, 2016
Format: Physical
Number of Pages: 190
Finished: December 2019
Rating: 5⭐
Diversity: By a proud queer non-binary human

My Thoughts

It is hard to express my love for this book. There is so much love and truth within these pages. Gentle and caring words even as it made me cry, in a good way. Things I needed to hear. That I think everyone could use. Self-care, true deep self-care, is so hard for most people. And yet it's so important. For me personally it's easier to be kind to others than it is to myself, and i'm trying to learn that kindness I know others deserve? I do too. And I know many can relate.

As humans we mess up, we are messy, and things can be tough to say the least. It's ok to mess up and be messy. We often beat ourselves up for it and we shouldn't. But how do we unlearn the self-hate and the habits we've learned? It takes time but it's worth it. You are worth it. But don't take it from me, there is so much packed into this book that will make you think.

This book isn't preachy. The tone of the book through-out is sincere and has no judgement. No "This is what you must do to be happy!" type of thing i've heard other self-help books do often. This book goes deep (though always gentle) and takes an introspective look at who you are as a person. It has stories of Marsh's life, activities for you to engage in to build self-trust and acceptance, and stories of hero/heroine's.

This is truly kept as a journey for everyone. Literally, everyone. Regardless of your gender, sex, ability, race, ethnicity, religion etc.

I loved how it showed having emotions, all emotions, is ok. Feeling angry or sad isn't a flaw, it isn't something to feel bad about. It's part of being human. How you deal with these emotions matters sure, but it's ok to feel them, even necessary and let yourself feel them. All emotions. Even intense joy is often shunned in society and shouldn't be.

This book has important lessons in it's pages and it's something I know I will go back to again and again. We all deserve to love ourselves and be who we are. It's something I needed to hear, and i'm almost 31. It's something all ages can need to hear and this book can be enjoyed by anyone young or old. I am so glad I found out about this book and read it. Also Jeffrey's Twitter, their videos, always make me smile.

I took my time with this book because I wanted to really absorb and think about what it was saying. The best books make me do that, take them slow.

Honestly I can not do this book justice. If you are struggling with loving yourself, with being who you are, I highly recommend this book. I recommend it to everyone honestly.

My Review on Goodreads

My Social Media: Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment