Thursday, January 2, 2020

Unbroken: 13 Stories Starring Disabled Teens edited by Marieke Nijkamp book thoughts

Unbroken: 13 Stories Starring Disabled Teens Edited by Marieke Nijkamp

Synopsis: This anthology explores disability in fictional tales told from the viewpoint of disabled characters, written by disabled creators. With stories in various genres about first loves, friendship, war, travel, and more, Unbroken will offer today's teen readers a glimpse into the lives of disabled people in the past, present, and future.

The contributing authors are awardwinners, bestsellers, and newcomers including Kody Keplinger, Kristine Wyllys, Francisco X. Stork, William Alexander, Corinne Duyvis, Marieke Nijkamp, Dhonielle Clayton, Heidi Heilig, Katherine Locke, Karuna Riazi, Kayla Whaley, Keah Brown, and Fox Benwell. Each author identifies as disabled along a physical, mental, or neurodiverse axis―and their characters reflect this diversity.

In a Nutshell: An anthology by and for disabled people.

Published: Sept 18th, 2018
Format: Physical
Number of Pages: 304
Finished: December 2019
Rating: 3.71⭐
Diversity: A range of physically and mentally disabled MC's. Some are POC, some are queer, also religious diversity.

My Thoughts

The dedication had me crying when I first read it.

"To every disabled reader, dreamer, storyteller-
We can be heroes.
This one's for us."

I have been disabled my entire life, born with VACteRL association (and then some) I'm a medical nightmare. Vacterl is rare, and disability is broad, but many disabled people end up facing the same stigmas, ableism and feelings from it all. Or may have the same or similar symptoms from different things. I am so glad this book exists.

13 stories, and many tears. I found quite a bit to relate to in these pages as a disabled person. There were a couple of stories I didn't get on with, a few stories that while they didn't really resonate with me personally I did like them enough and could see them being perfect for someone else, and just over half of them I really loved! The ones I loved I found stuff I related to in the pages even when I didn't share the exact disability, I cared about the characters, cried or at least got teary, they spoke to me in some way.

There is a diverse range of disabilities, both physical and mental, in the pages as well as poc and queer characters and religious diversity. If you are disabled, in any way, I imagine you'll find some stories to love in these pages, even if not every single one hits home. I am really glad this book exists and that I read it. My average ended up being 3.71 over-all.

My Review on Goodreads

My Social Media: Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment