Monday, January 6, 2020

Voices in the Snow by Darcy Coates book thoughts

Voices in the Snow by Darcy Coates

Synopsis: Clare remembers the cold. She remembers abandoned cars and children’s toys littered across the road. She remembers dark shapes in the snow and a terror she can’t explain. And then…nothing.

When she wakes, aching and afraid in a stranger’s gothic home, he tells her she was in an accident. He claims he saved her. Clare wants to leave, but a vicious snowstorm has blanketed the world in white, trapping them together, and there’s nothing she can do but wait.

At least the stranger seems kind…but Clare doesn’t know if she can trust him. He promised they were alone here, but she sees and hears things that convince her something else is creeping about the surrounding woods, watching. Waiting. Between the claustrophobic storm and the inescapable sense of being hunted, Clare is on edge…and increasingly certain of one thing:

Her car crash wasn't an accident. Something is waiting for her to step outside the fragile safety of the house... something monstrous, something unfeeling.

Something desperately hungry.

In a Nutshell: Wintery creature horror

Published: Nov 18th, 2019
Format: Ebook
Number of Pages: 352
Finished: January 2020
Rating: 4⭐
Diversity: None

My Thoughts

This was my first Darcy Coates book, but won't be my last! I ended up reading this for 3 reasons. One, it is the January group read for my group on Goodreads "Creatures, Creatures Everywhere!", two, for the #LadiesFirst20 challenge and three, for the free space in the Cancelathon readathon going on this month.

It starts off with Clare wanting to relax like she normally does on Sundays, with a good book, but it seems cities all over the world are suddenly going quiet. They can't be contacted. Anyone who goes in never comes back out. No one knows what's going on. And the "quiet zones" are spreading. So she plans to bunker down with her sister and her aunt. But she never makes it. She has a car crash in a forest area. She wakes up in a stranger's mansion with a guy taking care of her. His name is Dorran. And she initially can't remember everything that happened Sunday morning before the crash (it slowly all comes back to her).

I absolutely loved the atmosphere and the crazy winter weather! The atmosphere, the weather and the mansion (that is basically crumbling), were so well done. The first half of the book is slow but I was never bored. I was taken with what I was learning about the world, the setting, the creepy old house that's falling apart, the characters.

I really enjoyed the characters, Clare and Dorran. I loved how I thought I knew where the plot was going, or sort of anyway, I had a few theories...and they were all wrong. Completely. The plot ended up being twisty and very creepy! The second half of the book really picked up the pace and I didn't want to put it down! Not everything is explained (and not in a bad way) but the sequel is set to come out in April at the moment and I am very much looking forward to it! I know I haven't said much but at the same time I feel like if I say anything more it'll spoil things and I don't want to do that.

My review on Goodreads

My Social Media: Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment