Sunday, March 1, 2020

Feb 23rd to Feb 29th, 2020 Book Haul +

Amazon Freebies

Apple Orchard Cozy Mystery Series: Box Set One by Chelsea Thomas: The first 3 books in a cozy mystery series

Cusp of Night by Mae Clair: A paranormal mystery/thriller

Burden of Truth by Robin James: A legal thriller. Not something I normally pick up

Stranger in the Woods by Anni Taylor: A psychological thriller

Forbidden Delivery by Amelia Wilson: Sci-fi romance

The Maiden by Celia Aaron: A dark romance

Grit and Grind by Kat Addams: A contemporary romance

Alien Attraction by Cara Bristol: Book #2 in a sci-fi romance series. I already had books #1 & 3, also were freebies.

Used on a Cruise! by Mazy Rain: A short erotic F/F story

Used on a Cruise...Again! by Mazy Rain: Another short erotic F/F story

Trick Or Treat by Jamie Stewart: A short horror story

Other Stuff

I finished listening to Camp Red Moon by R.L. Stine and learned that audio books are much harder to deal with my fire trigger. I was in a house fire in 2012. I was saved by my neighbor with a ladder as I was trapped upstairs. I had been asleep but it was during the day.

"Camp Red Moon" is 4 stories. The last one is HEAVY on the fire and you can hear it, the fire, the smoke. It was SO HARD to get through and normally I can ward off a panic attack now but i'm not sure I did this time. It wasn't a full blown one at least (I was repeating something to myself to get through it for awhile-"you can get through this" I think) but man my chest was hurting and I did have nightmares when I went to sleep, something I haven't had in a long time! And even though I kept waking up because I was thirsty every time i'd go back to sleep, the same nightmare would start again.

A physical or Ebook has never given me a panic attack (even with hard to get through scenes) because I can not hear (or visualize a story) a physical or Ebook (if you can, hi, I have aphantasia in all the senses while awake though I dream vividly). But hearing it is the point of an audio-book. It's also why movies are harder for me to get through than books as well.

I was listening to it because of the audible audio-book challenge thing. I really enjoyed the first 2 stories and found the third one ok. That 4th one I can't say if I would have found it good or bad if it wasn't for my PTSD in regards to fire. I can just say *I* hated it for that reason, so I don't feel I can actually rate that one. So over-all I gave it 3.5 stars (rated 4 on Goodreads).

I then read Barack Obama: The Comic Book Biography by Jeff Mariotte via Comixology Unlimited. Short but packed for it's size. I enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars.

I read How to Catch a Mermaid by Adam Wallace, a picture book via the Libby app. Cute and sweet. Gave it 4 stars. Also read Islandborn by Junot Díaz, another picture book via the Libby app. About diaspora. It was sweet and heart-breaking. Gave it 4 stars.

Then I read Lumberjanes Vol. 2 and Vol. 3 by Noelle Stevenson, both via Comixology Unlimited. I freaking loved vol. 2 and gave it 5 stars! It's exactly what I needed as this month has been hell (I never even mentioned the previous week our generator got stolen, which we still need to replace-and we have well water-no electric-no water-no toilet-and with my medical issues, that is bad-and this week my granny passed away). Never mind all the drama and other crap on Twitter or whatever.

Anyway, back to Lumberjanes. I love the characters, all the girls! My favorite though is Ripley. Fun camp fun with supernatural nonsense. It's nonsense, and it's awesome. Vol. 3 felt off to me but I did still like it and gave it 3 stars.

Then I read Citrus+ Vol. 1 by Saburouta. You need to read Citrus Vol's 1-10 before this, it's a sequel series and you will be lost if you don't. I love Citrus. It fixes the rushed part of Citrus Vol. 10 and fleshes things out a bit more. I love the yuri cuteness. Girls loving girls. Yuzu + Mei❤️ and all the support they have. Matsuri is irritating but that's Matsuri for you. And that ending was perfect! I don't want to spoil anything, but the girl power, yes!❤️I am here for it.

I watched "The Little Mermaid" (1989) and gave it 5 stars.❤️

Youtube Videos posted in the past week

Demiguy Pride Haul [CC]
Book Haul #1 (Fantasy, Manga, Sci-fi etc.) [CC]
Book Haul #2 (classics, Non-fiction, Goosebumps) [CC]
Book Haul #3 (Mostly Horror) [CC]
March TBR [CC]

Blog Posts posted in the past week

6 Books that made me a reader!

Libby and Hoopla borrows and holds

I currently have The Secret Lives of Bats by Merlin Tuttle borrowed from Hoopla. From Libby I have currently borrowed Adulthood is a Myth by Sarah Andersen and Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark by Alvin Schwartz. On hold I have El Deafo by Cece Bell, which should come in soon, Matilda by Roald Dahl, which should come in in a couple of weeks, and The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins, which should come in in about 10 weeks. I have so many books I want to get to in March it's unbelievable.

For the Amazon freebies, I just happened to see they were free (usually because of bookbub). Often they are only free for a short time so I can't guarantee they still are when you see this. Of course I can't review what I haven't read yet so when I say what they are about it's just from what I see on Goodreads/have heard.

So what have you picked up recently? Any of these sound interesting? What have you been up to? Comment down below! :)

My Social Media: Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment