Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Harry Potter and the cursed child parts 1 & 2 book thoughts



The Synopsis

"The Eighth Story. Nineteen Years Later.

Based on an original new story by J.K. Rowling, Jack Thorne and John Tiffany, a new play by Jack Thorne, Harry Potter and the Cursed Child is the eighth story in the Harry Potter series and the first official Harry Potter story to be presented on stage. The play will receive its world premiere in London’s West End on July 30, 2016.

It was always difficult being Harry Potter and it isn’t much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband and father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted. As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places."

My Thoughts

Let me start by saying these are just my opinions. If you liked or loved the book that's fine and i'm glad you enjoyed it. I wish I did too.

Also I wasn't allowed to read Harry Potter growing up, even though i'd have been the perfect age. Why? Because magic. Apparently magic in a middle grade fantasy book is devil worship that will send the reader to hell or something. Or at least according to some people. I am not trying to attack any religion or belief, in any belief there will be different people, you can't paint all people in any group with the same brush, I get that. I'm just explaining that I couldn't read Harry Potter growing up to explain why I don't have any nostalgia factor for Harry Potter like many people do and maybe that's a factor in my feelings towards this book. I read the original 7 HP books last year. I love them! I also watched the movies afterwards, also great! I found out i'm a Hufflepuff and am proud. :) Also nostalgia isn't necessarily a bad thing. I have nostalgia with goosebumps for example.

Anyway, now that that's out the way, these are just my opinions and nothing more, let's get to it..SPOILERS AHEAD! And ranting.

Stuff breaks canon in the original Harry Potter books, opens up plot holes in the original series (both to do with time and time turners), characters are very out of character even when accounting for the 20 years that have passed. The writing left stuff to be desired and yes I know it was a script but I don't think even good acting could save it, for me at least. I was bored and didn't care for most of the book, which says quite a lot. Stuff was completely unbelievable. Cedric, a good guy in hufflepuff, which believes in fairness, becomes evil from losing and being humiliated in the triwizard tournament? Like I know that isn't pleasant but I can't believe Cedric would become a death eater over that...that just seems ridiculous. He was such a good person.

The whole book felt like badly written fan fiction by people who don't really know much about the first 7 Harry Potter books.

Also if Delphi was born just before the Battle of Hogwarts? Bellatrix would have been hella pregnant when the Golden Trio were taken to Malfoy Manor around Easter. Also Draco would have known because he was living there at the time. I also call bullshit on Harry, having the abusive childhood he had, saying such a horrible thing to his son and not having a decent father figure to go off of. Arthur Weasley? Sirius Black? Remus Lupin? Rubeus Hagrid? Also...speaking of Lupin..where was Teddy?

ALSO CAN WE TALK ABOUT THE QUEERBAITING?! A serious case of queerbaiting between Albus and Scorpius and at the end, when there was a chance for a tiny bit of diversity in it, ya fucked it all up! Like...what?!

What is up with that Trolley witch?!

The continued romanticizing of Severus Snape. Loving a woman who didn't love you doesn't excuse years of bullying children, including hers! Doing one good thing doesn't excuse years of child abuse. Being bullied doesn't excuse becoming a bully. Just fucking stop it already! I hate Snape with a passion, he is not a good person! He is a horrible teacher, a bully, and certainly not sentimental!

McGonagall was a human welcome mat! The sass explosion, take no bullshit from anyone she used to be? GONE! I can not believe she'd become a welcome mat!

And that isn't quite all of it. I just have so many issues with this book. It was not written by J.K and it shows, my god does it show!

There were good points. A couple nice lines, some funny moments and even some emotion from me at certain points in the story. I really liked Albus and Scorpius. Scorpius is a beautiful ray of sunshine and deserves no part of this nonsense. There were some nice messages in there too but it's so bogged down with all the nonsense around it..I just..I can't even..


This book is just a hot mess, and I gave it 1.5 stars. The half a star for scorpius and what little good I found in this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment