Monday, October 1, 2018

September 2018 Wrap Up

As usual the titles will link to my reviews on Goodreads, which often have more to say than what's here.

What I read

Bad Moonlight by R.L. Stine 4.5 out of 5 stars

Werewolves and twists I didn't see coming!

Are We Smart Enough to Know How Smart Animals Are? by Frans De Waal 5 out of 5 stars

A nonfiction book all about animals and how smart they truly are! I love animals and I've also thought we didn't give them enough credit. Showing how smart they are doesn't take anything away from us so why do so many people act like it does? Much love for animals as well as science! Scientific yes but very accessible!

Aickman's Heirs edited by Simon Strantzas 3.33 out of 5 stars

I finished this anthology of weird stories. I enjoyed it over-all but, like with most anthologies, there were hits and misses.

Monster Blood II by R.L. Stine 3.25 out of 5 stars

Some continuity errors and not quite as good as the first Monster Blood, but I still enjoyed it.

Pomegranate Juice: Sacrilegious Tales of Dark Abrahamic Horror by Magnus Wilton 4.25 out of 5 stars

An anthology of religious horror that is all too real. Powerful and thought-provoking, it doesn't hate religion in general, but the ones that use religion as an excuse to harm people.

Better Off Red by Rebekah Weatherspoon 5 out of 5 stars

F/F Romance, wlw vampires. It starts off seeming like 100% smut (which i'm totally ok with) but then it transforms into really getting to know the characters, a sweet romance, a diverse cast of girls supporting each other, misunderstandings that get talked out, great messages and character development! I came for the F/F vampire smut, and I got that and so much more <3

Ghost Stories of an Antiquary by M.R. James 3.5 out of 5 stars

An anthology of old ghost stories. Some of it went over my head but I mostly enjoyed it.

Monster Blood III by R.L. Stine 4 out of 5 stars

I actually got scared for Evan and loved the twist ending! And Kermit, omg i've never hated a child so much.

Carrie by Stephen King 4 out of 5 stars

A very character-driven novel about the horrors of bullying and abuse. I felt awful for Carrie. I love my character-driven and thought-provoking novels and this delivered that so well!

Citrus Volume 8 by Saburo Uta 4 out of 5 stars

A melodramatic yuri manga that I find cute.

Brother by Ania Ahlborn 4.5 out of 5 stars

A deeply disturbing and horrifying novel, with it's horrors being all too real. I really got to know the characters, and at times I felt bad for each of them, even though i'd never condone their actions I still got to see where they were coming from. It horrified me at the same time it made me think. I will never feel clean again after this novel, and I guarantee it'll stick with me. I can't stop thinking about it.

Between Us by F.E. Feeley Jr. 4 out of 5 stars

A bisexual MC (Jeremy) and a gay MC (Roger). Secrets, Romance, a poltergeist. Made my bisexual/queer and Halloween loving heart SO HAPPY! <3 To help ones queer and spooky needs in one short but sweet story.

Monthly Average Rating: 4.11

I continued Horrors! 365 Scary Stories, reading 30 stories for September, and The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales, reading 12 stories for September. I am also still reading the ongoing Strawberry Seafoam webtoon and have read episodes 36-41 in September.

TV I watched in September

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic - I watched Season 8 Episodes 19-22. Love the wonderful characters and messages!

The Addams Family - I watched Season 1 Episodes 5-10. Wonderful goth couple and family. Classic for a reason.

Siren- I watched Season 1 Episodes 5-10, which finishes Season 1 (and I have heard it's renewed for a season 2!). Awesome mermaids, lore, characters, plot. I just love all of it and can't wait for season 2!

Movies I watched in September

Seed of Chucky - I didn't find letterboxd until after I watched this, so I don't have a review for it and don't remember much. I did enjoy it though, to a degree. The only chucky movie I liked less than Seed though was Cult of Chucky. However I did like Seed (Unlike Cult). 3 out of 5 stars

Curse of Chucky - I loved seeing the bad-ass disabled woman! It actually scared me. I also felt angry at the way Nica's family was treating her as the "poor helpless disabled woman who must be treated like a child" but I loved that she wasn't having their BS! I love Nica. This movie made me feel seen and had me on the verge of tears. My favorite of the Chucky movies! 4.5 out of 5 stars

Cult of Chucky - I watched this right after Curse of Chucky, which was my favorite, and this...was my least. I didn't hate or even dislike it! I just didn't really...like it either. It was "meh" to me. I liked the slasher bits and I think this easily has the most body counts of all the movies, but idk it just...didn't feel right for some reason that I can't really point my finger on. It was just ok to me personally. 2.5 out of 5 stars

The Babadook - I loved this movie so much! The representation of grief and depression was so amazing! Her emotional turmoil, her struggles. Her love for her son that her grief completely overshadows and takes over. And that, what I see as hopeful, ending. This is how a horror masterpiece (imho) is made. Yes it was horrifying, but deeply thought-provoking and meaningful. 5 out of 5 stars

Podcasts I listened to

Books in the Freezer - I listened to episodes 2-7, still loving this podcast! And I am doing the Books in the Freezer Readathon from Oct 1st-14th!

Youtube Videos Posted

August 2018 Wrap Up
Recent Reads #89-92 | 2018
Recent Reads #93-97 | 2018
Books in the Freezer TBR
September 2018 Book Haul
Recent Reads #98-101 | 2018

Blog Posts Posted

August 2018 Book Haul

I do already have plans for next year to do more with this blog! Do you like this new layout? I think it looks better to the eyes personally. Have you read/watched/listened to any of the same things and if so what were your thoughts? What did you do in September? Comment below! :)

Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment