Sunday, January 3, 2016

The books I read in 2015

First off a brief reading history for me.

I loved reading as a child but had books I wasn't allowed to read (Harry Potter being one but not the only)...which basically killed my love of reading for awhile. I have read a little as an adult but finally got into reading more in 2015 and have been really into reading since October 2015...so I may still be new to being a huge reader but I have no plans on stopping!

Now that that is out of the way, what did I manage to read in 2015?

Well first I read the entire Harry Potter series (I had read the first 4 books before October as an ebook, actually reading the first 3 twice because I had read them apparently in late 2014 but it was so long because I just can't get into an ereader that I re-read them, then I got the entire series in paperback and continued where I left off-with the 5th book). I loved the Harry Potter series to say the least! I wish I could have read them as a child, but I wasn't allowed (because "evil satan devil magic" or some crap like that) and I would have been the perfect age, aging right along with Harry. However it's better late than never! Also, i'm a Hufflepuff! <3

Then I read "Across the Universe" by Beth Revis. A Sci-fi dystopian YA novel that takes you on a journey in space. I won't spoil anything. It starts out with a 17 year old girl, Amy, getting cryogenically frozen, along with her parents, in order to be awoken 300 years in the future...but she gets woken up early..and has to figure out who tried to murder her and not just her, but other frozens as well. It goes between her POV and Elder's, a 16 year old boys. I loved both of their voices and characters and the journey it took it me on! I rated it 4 out of 5 stars. It is also the first book in a trilogy...so once I read it I had to order the next 2. I don't want to get an entire series at once only to find out I hate it, ya know?


So while waiting I read "Frankenstein" by Mary Shelley. The beginning bored me as I didn't understand the purpose of it, but by the ending I did. My version has footnotes so I was able to understand everything just fine. I loved the writing of it, the story itself, and the questions it raised. It was only the beginning that bored me when I didn't understand the purpose of it. The middle and ending, which helped me understand the beginning, I loved! I gave it 4 out of 5 stars.


Then I read "Fantastic Beasts and where to find them" by J.K. Rowling. A short book I found funny and interesting. Just facts about the beasts in the Harry Potter world. Seems I gave it 4 stars..not sure why I didn't give it a full 5. Only downside I can remember is that i'd love to know more! I am fascinated with animals, even if they are fictional!


Finally! "A Million Suns" and "Shades of Earth" by Beth Revis arrived and I continued the "Across the Universe" Trilogy. Giving the last two books 4 and 5 stars respectively. I don't want to say anything about them and spoil it for anyone so i'll just say I loved the journey it took me on and how it made me think!


Ah...December already...I said I started late. I read "Interview with the vampire" By Anne Rice. It's exactly what the title says but much more interesting than the title lead me to believe! Except for the few instances where they are in the present talking about said interview...I completely forgot it was an interview talking about the past. The style of writing and world building was so beautiful and had me hooked! The vampire giving the Interview is Louis talking about his time with Lestat. It takes place in New Orleans and Paris, which I found perfect for the story. It's the first book in "The Vampire Chronicles" series and I do plan on continuing on with it.


Then I read "Sisters Red" by Jackson Pearce. It is the first book in a companion series of fairy tale retellings. While they are all set in the same world you can read them in any order what-so-ever apparently, even just picking and choosing which ones you want to read. "Sisters Red" is a retelling of Little Red Riding Hood. The POV's are sisters Scarlett and Rosie. I love the sister relationship! Of course they don't always get along but they do love each other. They also have their friend Silas. A werewolf aka Fenris attacked Scarlett and Rosie's grandmother when they were kids...and now they fight them. I gave it 4 out of 5 stars. I did really enjoy it, for the most part. I now have the rest in the series "Sweetly" retelling Hansel and Gretel, "Fathomless" retelling The Little Mermaid and "Cold Spell" retelling The Snow Queen...which i've never even heard of. I haven't read any of them yet (as of Dec 31st, 2015) but am excited to!


Then I read "Quidditch through the ages" and "The Tales of Beedle the Bard" both by J.K. Rowling, the first being the history of Quidditch and the later being children stories for witches and wizards. Both short fun reads. 4 and 5 stars out of 5 respectively from me.


Then I read "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens...I hate to say it but I didn't enjoy this book. I love the message of it but I found it confusing and hard to understand in the beginning, and then it just got long winded and boring. Me and Dickens don't get along it seems. So I watched The Muppet Christmas Carol...and loved it! On screen..great! Book form? Not for me. But the message is a great one! It is a classic for a reason. Ultimately I gave it 2 stars after DNFing it half way through.


Then I read Krampus the Yule Lord by Brom. A Christmas horror novel. The main character is Jesse, a down on his luck musician that will do anything for his little 5 year old daughter. There is crime, murder, drugs, and language. It is about Krampus the Yule Lord and Santa...let's just say they have issues. No charcter is fully bad or good...just like people. Even though Krampus and Santa aren't exactly human. I loved some of the messages in this book, especially about loving mother nature..it goes along with Krampus being the Yule Lord. The ending blew me away after having the entire book making me go all over the place! I loved it, 5 out of 5 stars! I even learned things from it.


Then I read "The Forbidden Wish" by Jessica Khoury...I got an ARC in a Goodreads giveaway. It comes out February 23rd, 2016. It is an Aladdin retelling that I will post a full video review on. I have made a Booktube video that has yet to go up. Anyway it is told from the female genie's POV, Zahra. It starts out with her in the lamp. I loved the writing style and the beautiful world building! I never felt bogged down but I could easily picture the stuff in my head, and it was gorgeous! It has danger, adventure, romance, kick ass females, a villian. It is a wonderful journey and adventure! It had me hooked from the beginning until the end! 5 out of 5 stars. If it sounds up your alley I recommend checking it out come February 23rd, 2016!


Then I read "Love is a choice" and "As they slip away" by Beth Revis, short novellas on her Wattpad that go along with the Across the Universe trilogy. I'd recommend, personally, reading "Love is a choice" after the first or second book though it's labeled as 0.6 and I understand why, and "As they slip away" after the second. I read them both after the entire trilogy, which is also perfectly fine. 4 and 5 stars respectively.


Then I read "Not Otherwise Specified" by Hannah Moskowitz in which I have written an entire review on it Here! A YA contemporary novel about a Bisexual recovering anorexic black girl in love with ballet constantly told she doesn't fit in anywhere and even being bullied. I related so much to her and another character Bianca as well! I loved this book so much I can't describe it! I highly recommend checking it out! 5 out of 5 stars if you couldn't tell! ;)

And that was my 2015 year in reading. ^_^ Next year there is sure to be much more so i'll figure out something else then.

No comments:

Post a Comment