Friday, February 14, 2020

Books by Black Authors that I Want to Read!

I have many more that I want to read than are listed here but I decided to go with the top 10 I want to read the most (in no particular order) that I actually own. If I have made any mistakes please let me know. Onto the list!

1.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

An autobiography.

2.

The Darkest Child by Delores Phillips

A historical fiction novel about a 13 year old girl who is the darkest skinned out of 10 fatherless siblings, and therefor the ugliest in her mother's eyes. It sounds heart-breaking but also potentially hopeful. The titles link to their Goodreads pages so you can read the full synopsis's there.

3.

Blacker than Blue by Rebekah Weatherspoon

This is the second book in a erotic f/f paranormal romance with vampires. I read, and loved, the first one and I have books 2 & 3 and really need to get to them!

4.

Homegoing by Yaa Gyasi

A historical fiction novel that spans multiple characters and generations.

5.

Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

Science Fiction, African-futurism, aliens. Sounds like an awesome adventure!

6.

Fledgling by Octavia E. Butler

Vampires. That's really I know. That's all I need to know. And I want to check out Octavia Butler's work in general.

7.

Perfect Peace by Daniel Black

A historical fiction novel about a child born male but with a mother that really wanted a girl so she raised her as a girl, until at age 8 she tells her "You was born a boy. I made you a girl. But that ain't what you was supposed to be. So, from now on, you gon' be a boy. It'll be a little strange at first, but you'll get used to it, and this'll be over after while." Explores gender, sexuality, unconditional love, and fulfillment.

8.

Once Ghosted, Twice Shy by Alyssa Cole

F/F romance.

9.

Pet by Akwaeke Emezi

A fantasy novel with a trans girl.

10.

Get a Life, Chloe Brown by Talia Hibbert

A chronically ill black woman MC. Romance.

Have you read any of these, and if so what were your thoughts on them? What books by black authors do you want to read? Any recommendations for me? Comment down below!

My Social Media: Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment