Sunday, June 9, 2019

June 2nd to June 8th, 2019 Weekly Wrap Up

What I Finished Reading

Titles in this section link to my (sometimes fuller) reviews on Goodreads.

Not Otherwise Specified by Hannah Moskowitz 5⭐

I read this in December of 2015 at the beginning of my really getting into reading journey. I was almost 27 years old and even knowing i'm bi since 13 I had NEVER seen, in all that time, a single bisexual character anywhere in media. Until this book. I saw myself so much in it and loved it with my entire heart and soul. I've wanted to re-read it but been scared it wouldn't hold up. I shouldn't have been scared. It held up.

The MC is a black bisexual girl recovering from an eating disorder and in love with ballet. The bisexual rep and ED rep is own voices. Etta loved ballet but feels like she doesn't fit. She also doesn't really fit in anywhere else. Not gay enough for the dykes (a group of lesbians and that is what they call themselves) but not straight enough for straight people. I've been through that when it comes to being bi. Thankfully I think things are getting better, but it doesn't happen over-night. It takes years. I love Etta "kick it in the ass" Sinclair! She isn't perfect. She's a flawed and realistic human. And she has my heart.

The Backstagers Vol. 1 by James Tynion IV and Ryan Sygh 5⭐

Queer, funny, emotional and supernatural. Shows guys experiencing a range of emotions, healthy communication and conflict resolution between friends. I'm already obsessed! Super cute. Super weird. I love it! <3

Stake Sauce Arc 1 by RoAnna Sylver 5⭐

Deals with hard topics in a sensitive and healthy way. Characters i've fallen in love with. I'm afraid to say too much and spoil things because I loved it so much I don't want to spoil any of it and just have others experience it themselves! It has a trans guy MC, queer guys, m/m relationships. Deals with PTSD (TW: Fire), healthy communication between friends, processing things with time. A soft punk-rock vampire with pink hair named Pixie.

Currently Actively Working On

Fearful Fathoms: Collected Tales of Aquatic Terror edited by Mark Parker
Red Rain by R.L. Stine

Well I haven't started Red Rain YET but I will later today hopefully. Next book i'm going to start at any rate as it's for a buddy read.

TV I Watched

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic Season 9 Episode 11 "Student Counsel"

Youtube Videos Posted

May 2019 Wrap Up

Other

I also got a set of Rubik's Cubes! My first set actually. Why...because I felt like it. Something to keep my brain active (i'm terrified of losing my mind as I get older because I have a lot of rare and complex medical issues and am disabled. I don't want a painful death because I couldn't tell people what I needed when i'm older). It's why I also have puzzle books that I plan on doing more in and hopefully getting into drawing this summer. After pride month. Of course also one of the reasons I read (not the only-reading is just plain fun!). Anyway the set I got..

I got them from Amazon Here.

Book Haul

Also the physical books actually came in the mail today (the 9th) but i'm putting them here anyway, because I can.

Amazon Freebies


Audiobooks from Audible Originals


Audiobook with Audible Credit (credit saved from last month actually)


Bookfunnel Freebies


Paid for Amazon & Comixology Ebooks


Physical books


Prolific Works


Smashwords


Youtube | Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment