Thursday, April 13, 2017

Diversity Spotlight Thursday #3

Diversity Spotlight Thursday is a weekly meme created by Aimal! Every week, you come up with one book in each of three different categories: a diverse book you have read and enjoyed, a diverse book on your TBR, and one that has not yet been released. You can check out their announcement post here.

A Diverse book you have read and enjoyed:
The Color Purple by Alice Walker

I read this in February of last year. It's a classic for a reason and oh so important! It talks about racism, sexism, love and so much more with amazing characters! I know I didn't fully understand everything in it though the first time I read it and I need to re-read it at some point! Women of color characters by a woman of color. It also has some lgbt+ themes. I believe Celie was a lesbian and Shug seemed to be bisexual? At least that's how I remember it but it's been over a year since I read it. Highly recommend this classic!








Diverse book on your TBR:
The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas

Inspired by the Black Lives Matter movement. I've heard nothing but amazing things about this book and how powerful and important it is! It also has a women of color main character by a woman of color author. I plan to pick this one up very soon!














Diverse book that has not yet been released:
Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh

From what i've heard it features main characters of color by a women of color author. Also I think it's a Mulan retelling? I've never even seen Mulan...I know shame on me, I need to fix that. It sounds interesting! Expected publication May 16th, 2017.














Have you read any of these books, if so what did you think of them? What diverse books have you read and enjoyed or are looking forward to reading?

No comments:

Post a Comment