Friday, April 28, 2017

May 2017 Want To Read

Currently as I write this i'm reading The Radium Girls: The Dark Story of America's Shining Women by Kate Moore and I believe i'll finish it before May starts, and if I don't then shortly after.

























So onto my May Want To Read!

First I want to add i've decided to use a game by Howlin Books called Candybook Land Here to help decide one book on my WTR each month. I've already rolled several months in advance actually lol and while I won't change the rolls of course (I have them written down) I could change what book I decide to use for it until I set that months WTR. Heck I could change it before I start reading it as long as the book fits. But anyway, May WTR!

1. The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers

I've heard so many amazing things about this book and it's on my Top 15 *must* get to in 2017 list...which I need to catch up on! I've heard it's a very diverse character-driven sci-fi and the sequel is already out.

2. American Psycho by Bret Easton Ellis

Also on my Top 15 must get to this year list. I've heard mostly good things about this book, though I expect it to be a difficult read due to the subject matter. I actually bought this quite awhile ago (before even hearing that it was made into a movie, which i've obviously never seen) and then later got a second copy through a Nocturnal Reader's Book Box...so I need to read one of them already!

3. Sweetly by Jackson Pearce
I read the first book in this fairy-tale retelling companion series in 2015, Sisters Red (little red riding hood retelling) and enjoyed it. I then got the last 3 in the series (they are companion novels and can be read as stand-alones) and still haven't read them yet. This is the second and a Hansel and Gretel retelling. It's also on my Top 15 to read this year list.

4. Fathomless by Jackson Pearce

This is the third in the series and a Little Mermaid retelling. I've also heard May as "Mermaid May" and i've never read a mermaid book despite loving mermaids and I want to read some mermaid book in May! I hope to at least.

5. Mermaid by Carolyn Turgeon

Also on my Top 15 for this year list and a mermaid book. A Little Mermaid retelling as well.

6. Monstress, Vol. 1: Awakening by Marjorie M. Liu

An Adult Steampunk Fantasy graphic novel that i've heard many good things about! I've wanted to read more graphic novels (comics/manga etc.) this year but I haven't been doing that! :'(

7. Food Wars!, Vol. 1 by Yuto Tsukuda

I've heard a little about this manga series, all of which was good and I wanna check it out! All I know is boy goes to tough culinary school.

8. Chobits, Vol. 1 by CLAMP

CLAMP is more than one person. Anyway my spouse told me about this, it's an anime he's enjoyed and wanted me to check out. Of course I want to read the manga first and the picture I put up is actually of the Omnibus which includes the first 4 (out of 8) volumes, which is what I have. I don't necessarily want to get through all 4 this month but at least the first one. If I like it then I can get the second Omnibus to complete the series for me.

9. Twice Dead: Contagion by Suchitra Chatterjee

A zombie apocalypse type of novel but with disabled people fighting back by a disabled author! I mentioned it in a diversity Spotlight Here (which has the cover from Goodreads, but the one here is actually the cover I have as I guess it was changed). Check it out! :) Also this is the book i'm using for Candybook Land! My Candybook Land thing for this month was as follows

Month: May
Place#: 3 Yellow
Task: First in a series
Book: Twice Dead: Contagion

It wasn't originally what I was going to use because when I first discovered and did my Candybook Land roll for this month I hadn't even heard of this book yet. But then I did, and it fits so :D. Of course now I realize that all three of the graphic novels are also first in a series...but yeah.

Have you read any of these books? If so what did you think of them? No spoilers please! Do you want to read any of these books? What's on your radar for May?

No comments:

Post a Comment