Saturday, January 25, 2020

1984 by George Orwell book thoughts

1984 by George Orwell

Synopsis: The year 1984 has come and gone, but George Orwell's prophetic, nightmarish vision in 1949 of the world we were becoming is timelier than ever. 1984 is still the great modern classic of "negative utopia"—a startlingly original and haunting novel that creates an imaginary world that is completely convincing, from the first sentence to the last four words. No one can deny the novel's hold on the imaginations of whole generations, or the power of its admonitions—a power that seems to grow, not lessen, with the passage of time.

In a Nutshell: A Dystopian classic that, terrifyingly, rings very true today

Published: June 8th, 1949
Format: Physical
Number of Pages: 326
Finished: January 2020
Rating: 5⭐
Diversity: None

My Thoughts

Yes this was my first time reading 1984 or anything by George Orwell. I heard this dystopian nightmare rings very true today...and I must agree. When I thought it couldn't get more terrifying, it did. And it's all too real. The writing was easy for me to follow. It did get a little dry for a little bit in the middle though I understood it's purpose and it wasn't for very long.

I felt for Winston, feeling like he's insane or all alone because so many people blindly follow Big Brother and all Big Brother's crap. Worried about the (actual) Thought Police, as if thoughts are real actions. I doubt there is anyone alive, barring babies and young children, that hasn't had awful/mean/unkind thoughts at some point. It doesn't mean you're going to act on them or that you're a bad person, it means you are human.

Granted Big Brother is worried about so many things that aren't even bad, because to him, they are. It explains why, and everything brought up so many real life memories and stuff going on today-in the real world. Yes, it's frightening and even seems hopeless though it was meant as a warning. Over 70 years ago it was written...and yet in so many ways it's like it was written today. Honestly it could be.

The plot, the themes, all of it had me questioning so many things from real life. Had me thinking. Had my eyes wide in horror as I connected things. Had me questioning "what would I do?". I don't actually want to spoil anything but if you haven't read it and do want spoilers i'm sure they are easy to find on the internet as this is well known classic. I see why this is a classic and a must read. I am so glad that i've read it now and I hope it makes me think more consciously going forward. Glad to finally know where "Big Brother is watching you" and the concept of the Thought Police came from.

The thirst for power. The loss of humanity and what it means to be human, truly alive and conscious. What is truth and can lies become truth. Brainwashing.

War is Peace
Freedom is Slavery
Ignorance is Strength
2 + 2 = 5

I highly recommend this book.

Quotes

"If all records told the same tale - then the lie passed into history and became truth."

"Always the eyes watching you and the voice enveloping you. Asleep or awake, working or eating, indoors or out of doors, in the bath or in bed - no escape. Nothing was your own except the few cubic centimeters inside your skull."

My Review on Goodreads

My Social Media: Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

No comments:

Post a Comment