Monday, January 13, 2020

The New Year's Party by R.L. Stine book thoughts

The New Year's Party by R.L. Stine

Synopsis: Ring in the new fear.

P.J. wasn’t supposed to die. It was just a practical joke, no big deal. But P.J. had a bad heart…

The kids at Reenie’s Christmas party couldn’t tell the police what they’d done, so they hid the body…and then it disappeared.

Now someone is killing them, one by one. Someone is taking P.J.’s revenge…but who?

By midnight they’ll know. Because when the clock chimes, they’ll all get a kiss. The kiss of death.

In a Nutshell: A YA thriller

Published: September 9th, 1995
Format: Physical
Number of Pages: 193
Finished: January 2020
Rating: 3.75⭐
Diversity: None

My Thoughts

I was interested through-out. It has 2 story-lines, one in the present (or what was the present at the time it was published, the mid-90s) and 1965. And until the twist at the end revealed it I had no idea how they connected and I wanted to find out. Granted I wasn't thinking too much into it and if I was maybe i'd have guessed it, i'm not sure. That's what I love about these fear street books, they are easy to read and don't require a lot of brain power.

I was frustrated with the characters cruel jokes but that's from my perspective and I understood they were teenagers just trying to joke around, but sometimes, jokes go horribly wrong as it shows. Even though I was frustrated by the characters I did like them well enough. And just when I thought I had it all figured out, who is doing the murdering, it pulled out some more twists! Granted I did have part of it figured out but only a small part of it. I really enjoyed the ending. Happy New Year!

My Review on Goodreads

My Social Media: Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

2 comments:

  1. I love FearStreet books. Great write up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I love Fear Street books too. R.L. Stine got me into reading as a kid with Goosebumps. :)

      Delete