Friday, January 31, 2020

Book Recommendations: Romance (or books with romance) [All Queer!]

These books aren't necessarily strictly romance books but they at least HAVE romance in them. I could've added more but I figured twelve was plenty for one recommendation's post and these are the ones I picked, for one reason or another. Obviously this means I have read these books and loved them personally. The fact that they are all queer is a happy accident. :D

1.

The Abyss Surrounds Us duology by Emily Skrutskie

Lesbian pirates fighting genetically engineered sea monsters (there is a giant turtle) in a near-future dystopia. Has a slow burn F/F romance that is enemies to lovers. Turns tropes on their head. Action, feels, morally gray, realistic characters, and romance. The MC is a Chinese-American lesbian. I loved it all! I haven't read the prequel yet because I only recently found out it existed. And the second book technically i've only read the arc but I do have a finished copy and want to re-read the duology!

2.

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz

A beautiful contemporary story of 2 Mexican-American boys falling in love. It's been awhile since I read it but I remember really relating to Ari and some depression feels. M/M.

3.

Sunstone Vol 1-5 by Stjepan Šejić

A F/F BDSM romantic comedy graphic novel series. Talks about the trust needed in BDSM, human feelings and more and is over-all very sweet.

4.

Fortitude Smashed and Curved Horizon by Taylor Brooke

This is a duology (that needs to be read in order) but focuses on a different couple in each book (though everyone is friends). The first book is M/M the second is F/F. Both books talk a lot about mental illness like depression, panic attacks, past abuse, anxiety (and as someone who deals with all that I loved the rep and really related to it!). Complex characters I either loved or grew to love. Bisexual, Pansexual and Demisexual rep all stated on the page. Daisy is a Chinese-American Demisexual girl with anxiety. Granted I read the arcs of these via netgalley. I really should get physical copies of them to re-read!

5.

Vampire Sorority Sisters Series by by Rebekah Weatherspoon

Yes it's a trilogy and sadly i've only read the first one but I freaking loved it! I may or may not re-read it but I have the rest of the trilogy and really want to finish it! An F/F vampire romance with a sorority of vampire girls. Interesting world, characters, girls supporting girls. Erotic but so much more!

6.

Mothmen: Myths and Legends by Kaelan Rhywiol

A M/M/F poly-amorous kinky triad involving shape-shifting moth people. Deals with grief. Short story that packs a punch. Own voices first nations rep. So many emotions. A lot of tenderness. Complex characters that I loved. Also very sexy.

7.

The Sublime and Spirited Voyage of Original Sin by Colette Moody

A historical F/F pirate romance adventure novel with some feminist themes in it. Also some sexy times.

8.

Moon-Bright Tides by RoAnna Sylver

A cute F/F romance between a witch and a mermaid! Anxiety rep as well. Short story but packed a punch.

9.


Mermaids of Eriana Kwai Series by Tiana Warner

Mermaids. F/F Romance (more so in the later books). War. Complex characters. Female friendship. Loved everything about this trilogy!

10.

The Lady's Guide to Celestial Mechanics by Olivia Waite

A beautiful adult F/F historical romance with characters I loved and loved to see them grow.

11.

Bingo Love by Tee Franklin

A second chance F/F romance between 2 older black women because they couldn't be together when they were younger because of homophobic society but met again later in life and got their chance at happiness. Graphic novel.

12.

Mooncakes by Suzanne Walker and Wendy Xu

A fantasy graphic novel with a Witch MC and a werewolf MC. The Witch, Nova, is female and the Werewolf, Tam, is non-binary and uses they/them pronouns. So F/N romance. Both are Chinese-American. Nova's grandmothers are also in a relationship with each other and I loved seeing them. Nova also has hearing aids. Magic, cuteness, emotion. I loved it! Though i've only read it via netgalley so far but I did pick up my own physical copy!

Have you read any of these and if so what were your thoughts on them? Have any romance (or books with romance in them) recommendations of your own?

My Social Media: Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

1 comment: