Friday, January 10, 2020

Honorary Mentions of 2019!

Honorary mentionable reads of 2019! I really enjoyed these reads and want to shout about them as well but they didn't quite make my favorites list (which was already so many I divided it into 2 posts), but I still highly recommend these as well! In no particular order.

1.

Unbroken: 13 Stories Starring Disabled Teens edited by Marieke Nijkamp

13 stories, and many tears. I found quite a bit to relate to in these pages as a disabled person. There were a couple of stories that didn't work for me, a few stories that while they didn't really resonate with me personally I did like them enough and could see them being perfect for someone else, and just over half of them I really loved! The ones I loved I found stuff I related to in the pages even when I didn't share the exact disability, I cared about the characters, cried or at least got teary, they spoke to me in some way.

There is a diverse range of disabilities, both physical and mental, in the pages as well as poc and queer characters. If you are disabled, in any way, I imagine you'll find some stories to love in these pages, even if not every single one hits home. I am really glad this book exists and that I read it. My average ended up being 3.71 over-all. I wrote a review of it on here.

2.

Criptiques edited by Caitlin Wood

A wonderful place to begin with disability studies/crip lit! There were a couple instances where I didn't agree with something as a disabled person myself but hey, we aren't a monolith and over-all I loved it! There is so much to love in these pages, but as it says it's just a starting point. A great place to start with. It talks about being queer and disabled, a poc and disabled, physical and mental disabilities. And it has plenty of recommendations for further reading as well.

I related. I learned. I cried. It made me stop and think. I do very much recommend this book! My review on Goodreads Here.

3.

Romantic Outlaws: The Extraordinary Lives of Mary Wollstonecraft & Mary Shelley by Charlotte Gordon

Wonderful biography on Mary Shelley and her mother Mary Wollstonecraft! Told in alternating chapters it came together really well and I learned so much about these amazing women! Since falling in love with Frankenstein i've wanted to learn all I can on the author, Mary Shelley. My review on Goodreads here.

4.

My Life as a White Trash Zombie and Even White Trash Zombies Get the Blues by Diana Rowland

A series (there are 6 books but i've only read the first 2 so far) about Angel who has had a crap life to say the least and ends up being turned into a zombie...which actually gives her a second shot at life. I first read the first book in 2017 and i'm awful at continuing series so I re-read it in 2019 by listening to it on audio (really enjoyed the audio book!) and then read the second book (as I have all 6 physically).

Angel is an azmazing character, realistically flawed with a great character arc. It tackles serious issues while still being a fun read with a great plot and mystery. I really need to continue this series! My reviews on Goodreads Here, Here and Here.

5.

Bingo Love by Tee Franklin

A second chance romance between two women of color who were told they couldn't be together initially because the world was queerphobic. They meet again later in life and it is so sweet! It is own voices by a black queer woman. I read it via hoopla and I really should pick up a copy to own. My review on Goodreads here.

6.

Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur

A raw, emotional and powerful book of poetry by a woman of color. It brought up painful memories for me personally. However it is also empowering. I need to read more by Rupi. My review on Goodreads Here.

7.

Alice by Christina Henry

A dark Alice in Wonderland retelling. Heavy theme of rape and girls being sold to evil men. However Alice is bad-ass, there is more to the story than first meets the eye, and the evil men get what they deserve. A dark feminist retelling of Alice in Wonderland I didn't know I needed. I have the sequel, I just need to read it! My review on Goodreads Here.

8.

We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

Sisters Mary and Constance live in a castle with their disabled Uncle Julian. The rest of their family was killed. I don't actually have a review for this one but I remember loving the atmosphere and how strange everything was. I need to re-read this in the future.

9.

Fifty Shades of Grey and Fifty Shades Darker by E.L. James

Yes, Fifty Shades of Grey. I haven't read the last book yet. I gave both of the first 2 books 4.5 stars. This book was so much more complex that I expected and so not what I heard it was imho. I have a more in-depth review of the first book Here and the second book Here, both on Goodreads.

I did read them before I got out of denial land about being trans which in the reviews (and comments with my now deadname) is obvious. I was still fooling myself into believing I was cis at the time. Doesn't change my opinion on the books but for context about the reviews might be necessary to know. I even just edited out the words "myself included" when I said "some women, myself included". That's all I did though. Otherwise it remains how I originally wrote it.

10.

Charlotte's Web by E.B. White

I never read this growing up and I still haven't seen the movie. This book gave my arachnophobic self feelings for a spider, how dare it. My review on Goodreads here.

11.

they Rise by Hunter Shea

A creature feature horror that is kinda like Jaws but so much better (imo-I didn't care much for the book Jaws though I enjoyed the movie). Fleshed out characters, enjoyable plot, plenty of horror. I really enjoyed it and need to read more by Hunter Shea! My review on Goodreads Here.

What are some of your honorary mentions or favorite reads of 2019? Have you read any of these and if so what were your thoughts?

My Social Media: Twitter | Tumblr | Goodreads | Instagram | Letterboxd | TV Time

2 comments:

  1. Love the Christina Henry books and really enjoyed We Have Always Lived in the Castle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reading and commenting ^_^ I need to read more by Christina Henry and Shirley Jackson!

      Delete